Tuesday, 18 January 2011

Blog playlist: break up songs

So we're all agreed that David Tennant is mine. (No need to respond; it isn't a question.) In which case: what is he doing marrying and having a baby with somebody else? It just doesn't make any sense. Unless... he's playing hard to get. That must be it. It's all a passive aggressive act designed to get my attention. Look how he's deliberately chosen somebody who looks nothing like me:



Stop being so obvious, Tennant.

Fine. As I sorrowfully cross David Tennant off the 'famous men I am unlikely ever to get off with' list and add him to the 'famous men I am extremely unlikely ever to get off with' list, I will be listening to my favourite break up songs in my lonely bedroom, crying over the DVD cover from 'Casanova'. Which is where you come in, helpful readers! Yes, in an exciting new music feature which does not have the day of the week in the title - clever me!! - I will suggest a theme, you will all contribute (yes you will) and then I will make a Spotify playlist which everyone can listen to as long as they live in the UK and have Spotify. The rest of you: too bad.

This is my favourite break up song:



"Your lies won't leave me alone, you used to say you loved me. Did you?... I got your message on the phone*, I hung on every single line. Told me what we had was only business, hurt me so bad I had to sit down with the sickness."

*Legal note: I have never received a phone message from David Tennant.

(It's off 'I Am Shelby Lynne', which is a perfect album.)

Over to you. The finished playlist will be here: http://open.spotify.com/user/strugglingauthor/playlist/5MTIXj47ukZ2EECnGa6ske

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

'Untouchable Face' by Ani DiFranco.

Alice said...

I want to say "Nicest Thing" by Kate Nash, but it's truthfully more of an unrequited love song than a breakup song. I think.

"Foundations", also by Kate Nash, is more of a break up song (except it's slightly before the actual breakup) ... oh dear, I'm not very good at this am I?

BaronessBlack said...

How about Alisha's Attic 'I won't miss you' - an oldie, but goodie!

burge said...

'Song for the Dumped' by Ben Folds; 'Another Little Piece of my Heart' by Janis Joplin or Irma Franklin or Dusty Springfield; 'Stay With Me Baby' by Lorraine Ellison.

Anna May said...

When David Cassidy got married and smashed my heart into a zillion pieces I went for 'Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep'....
Anna May x

Miss Jones said...

I have to say, I have been very concerned for your emotional well-being since I heard the Tennant-related news.

Is this a good time to announce my love for the Bryan Adams/Mel C duet When You're Gone..?

Persephone said...

Oh, I know. The tabloids are even suggesting this wasn't an accident. Mind you, they're also saying Georgia Moffett is pregnant and expecting a baby, which, personally, I think is overkill...

I could, as you probably know, suggest dozens of great break-up songs, but let's face it: nuthin' can do "my heart is smashed to pieces" like a country and western song, especially one with a sense of humour. I offer Everybody Knows sung by the great Trish Yearwood which features some of my favourite "nobody can make me feel better" lyrics":

Well all the girls from work
Say, "Just forget the jerk."
I feel better now...


and the ultimate:
No, I don't need a shirink
Don't even want that drink.
Git me some chocolate and a magazine!


Amen, sister.

(WV: otlyoth - what you sound like with a mouth full of chocolate)

CL Taylor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CL Taylor said...

'I Wanna Be Around' - Dinah Washington/Tony Bennett/Frank Sinatra (I prefer Dinah's version).

Slightly stalkerish revenge song about waiting for an ex lover to get their comeuppance. Love it!

(previous post deleted because I'm an idiot).

CL Taylor said...

Oh! And how could I forget 'Ciao!' by Lush (featuring Jarvis Cocker). Bitter AND amusing.

lilalia said...

Marie, what to say... I am so sorry David decided to plan a future without you... of course, he and his chosen woman do deserve much happiness... but, how could he not know about you just around the corner?

Stephanie said...

'Romeo and Juliet' by Dire Straits. I listened to it every night during my first teenage broken heart. Still makes me smile, wistfully.

Jane Henry said...

Pretty much anything from Rumours by Fleetwood Mac would probably do the trick, but following on from your choice, Tell Me Lies would seem appropriate. Failing that, The Winner Takes It All by Abba. Or is that rubbing it in? Had just got over the shock of the engagement. NOW you tell me she's pregnant. How could he?

peteraj said...

"Without You" by Pete Ham and Tom Evans, recorded originally by Badfinger, covered by hundreds, but the best by far is by Harry Nilsson - you always remember the track to your first heartbreak!

TomJ said...

Nothing Compares 2 U?
Ex-Girlfriend by No Doubt?
Depending on the breakup either Don't Marry Her or A Little Time by the Beautiful South?
And surely to finish, Lilly Allen's Smile.

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Awh, bless you Marie: I think we've ALL took the news rather well under the circumstances :) and yes, at heart we DO all wish him and Georgia well (and any forthcoming baby T's)

In terms of songs... oh my, I'm ever sure what qualifies as a 'break-up song' to add to the excellent suggestions [Kudos for the Caio! suggestion Cally, I thought I was the often one who remembered that great song!]

I'd possibly suggest a listen to the utterly quirky "I'm compromising" by The European which is maybe a little off-target but certainly would make me smile in such circumstances!

How about Sister Rosetta Tharpe "Please Don't Take Everybody to be Your Friend"?

And another random one, "Never love again" by Cherbourg which is quite bittersweet ("I will never love again with all my heart, it just falls apart every time I try")

Oh lordy I could find a load of off-beat ones!

CGrades said...

This is too late (sigh - isn't it always?), but for what it's worth, here are my angst-ridden suggestions:
Heavy Heart by You Am I
Lover, you should have come over by Jeff Buckley
Yesterday's Gone by Bernard Fanning (in fact the whole Tea and Sympathy album)
For the protracted breakup, The Only One by Billy Bragg or Hey That's No Way To Say Goodbye by Leonard Cohen
For the dance-worthy breakup, Since I Left You by the Avalanches.
(I'm not in the UK and can't see the playlist - apologies for any doubleups. And also apologies to anyone who is feeling a bit fragile and who has listened to these - only listen if you enjoy a good wallow.)

Marty said...

Billy Bragg's Mother of the Bride ("I put on my suit and smiled on the big day; But I could look as her dad gave her away; And as they solemnly said 'You'll do'; Her mother said 'That should have been you'")

Or for a dumper's perspective, Everybody Loves You Babe ("There's just no ignoring; You're pretty but you're boring") .

Jodie said...

I suggest 'Anna Begins' by The Counting Crows because it's tried and tested for me, but it's more of a 'wtf are we doing here, we are screwing everything up' song so maybe not. Um but Beautiful Head by The National fits the bill:

'what would you trade me for?' is a pretty killer line.

When I was a wee broken up with girl I of course had my favourite 'work through this' music and one of the songs was 'I Quit' by a band called Hepburn. This is probably a track I should be ashamed of (still) liking but it's on the Buffy soundtrack so I stick by it.

Janey said...

I'd suggest "Valentine's day is over" - originally by Billy Bragg I think, but I love the June Tabor version.

By the way I've been following your blog for a while - it started with your wonderful Strictly posts, but this is the first time I've commented, so hello!

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

So much to commend! Jodie - well done for sticking with 'I Quit' --- you can't beat a bit of Buffy!

Marie said...

Still adding, it's never too late (OK it might actually be too late once I open a new playlist) - thanks for the excellent suggestions, and welcome Janey!

Anonymous said...

My brother referred me to your blog because, as he said, "YOU could have written this". Also, I don't think he could bring himself to break the tragic David Tennant news to me himself.

So...as I, along with you and so many others, wallow in moving his name to the "extremely unlikely" list...I offer this one up - it's old, but oh, it's a great break-up song!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hx1wp7KBHQ