
I *was* going to post something nice and intellectual about the Hay Festival, or maybe the excellent book I have just finished which has been getting weirdly average reviews (what book is that, you ask? No, you'll have to wait) but a matter of great national urgency has been brought to my attention - I speak of course of the latest Strictly Come Dancing debacle, and the resultant departure of Brian Fortuna.
The full story can be read at the D***y M**l website ici but to summarise: in their great wisdom, the producers of Strictly Come Dancing have decided to remove Brian, Ian, Matthew, Darren and Lilia from the competition and place them in a professional supergroup "dedicated to performing routines on a scale never before seen on Strictly" - or just possibly, dedicated to performing routines on pretty much the scale they have always been performed by the very same people on Strictly, while they were still quite able to carry on coaching celebrities for the weekly show as well.
Darren and Lilia have got used to being stiffed by now; their refusal to take part in the Strictly tours meant that every year of late they were each saddled with lemons who were unlikely ever to get past the opening weeks. Ergo they will probably not notice or care. Brian has made his attitude clear by quitting. Ian and Matthew's feelings are not yet known on the subject but I can't imagine they are delighted. Other people who are not delighted include: me.
Seriously, BBC: you're removing Brian, Ian, Matthew, Darren and Lilia from mentoring? So on the men's side, apart from the newbies, you are leaving us with Brendan, James, Anton and Vincent. Brendan, James, Anton and Vincent. Is it possible that the BBC are making the mistake of thinking that the more headlines you get, the more popular you are? BBC: NO. Anton is mainly famous for being annoying, stupid, and racist, and for losing a lot because he doesn't know how to choreograph Latin routines. James and Brendan are famous for being loudmouths who are hated by EVERYBODY. And Vincent - who to be fair, I actually do like - is mainly known for having been the third wheel in the Vincent - Flavia - Matt love triangle. In other words, for being publicly dumped for a cute foetus from Eastenders. Ironically, if any of the dancers in the whole of Strictly history were to be put on a pro-performance-only footing, I'd vote for Vincent and Flavia, whose showdances are regularly the most entertaining thing on the show.
I think the Strictly producers have seen the ratings dropping against X Factor, felt a desperate need to shake things up, and to make things younger and shinier and ITVier, and in their panic have forgotten one of the key things about the show: lots of us watch it year after year because we like the pro dancers so much. You know, the pro dancers that we LIKE. Otherwise known as Brian, Ian, Matthew, Darren and Lilia. Maybe we'll like the new ones, maybe we won't, but it takes a couple of seasons to warm up to them, so in 'refreshing' the show you are actually dumping many people's reasons for watching it. Let's face it, most of the celebs that they can persuade to rock up for that many months are by definition past in, because otherwise they wouldn't have the time to train. So they won't be the ones getting us to switch on. So for many of us, the pro dancers ARE the stars of the programme.
What thinking went into the decision I can't say. Maybe the producers want drama and drama equals people crying and people cry most when paired with obnoxious dancers like Brendan, James and Anton. Maybe they want sex appeal so they got rid of the gay ones (because gay people don't watch Strictly) and replaced them with straighter guys. I don't know. But from here it looks like madness.
Why does nobody ask me to the meetings where these decisions are made? Surely it can't be because I "don't work for the BBC" and "have no idea what I'm talking about". But for the little it's worth, if I were in charge of Strictly, the main thing I would do would be to make it a hell of a lot shorter. Fewer couples, fewer weeks, shorter episodes, so that you don't lose the will to live mid-season - and I speak as a fan. I would also put it on at a different time, maybe even on a different day. And I would get rid of Bruce and Tess, but that's just personal taste. (Seriously though, a whole 'nother year of listening to Bruce's terrible jokes?) I may not be a BBC exec but I do know that the best way of not losing all your viewers to X Factor is not putting Strictly Come Dancing on at exactly the same time as X Factor, thus neatly dividing the "we want to watch talent-based family entertainment shows" audience into half. But if you do that, you might not win the battle for Saturday night, and that's the kind of thing that matters a lot to execs and not at all to audiences.

13 comments:
The one thing I will say is that I thought that many of the professional dancers' pieces last series were pretty average. I found myself Sky+ing and fast-forwarding far too much of the last series as it was. There was often poor synchronisation in the group dances and while technically fine, you got the feeling that they'd been thrown together too quickly without significant rehearsal.
At least giving the professionals some time to work a bit harder on their routines should improve things, although five in the group feels like an odd number, and there is something of Pan's People or Legs & Co. about the whole thing.
That said, I much prefer it anyway when guest dancers are performing - perhaps that's symptomatic of some of the average professional dances.
At least they have removed a couple of the celebrities and got the numbers down a bit to 14, which I think is still a couple too many.
What is odd is that the BBC announced these changes in a press release prior to contracting the dancers. Hence the reference to Brian in the release despite the fact that he's now bowed out of the series as a result.
I'm sure you will have loads of people agreeing with you but I personally don't. I would happily see the back of some of those five.
As for Darren & Lilia being targeted for not doing the tours, mmmm, let's see, they have taken part in all three celeb tours, they aren't on the pro tour. Matthew and Ian have been in all three celeb tours and are on the pro tour. Brian been on the last celeb tour and on the pro tour.
I don't make assumptions for everyone, some people do actually like Brendan and James.
No Ian or Matthew?! Who will the tall celebrities dance with? I don't really get how a former 'So You Think You can Dance' contestant can be called a professional dancer just yet. I agree they should cut it down to 10couples at the most and have the first week without elimination and stop this annoying initial splitting of contestants along the gender lines of the celebrities. The celebrity entrants have got worse and worse through the series so less celebs would be welcome.
On the other hand I'm not a Brian fan and I won't miss him (his hip movements freaked me out a bit).
It did cross my mind that Matthew and Ian might be out because there's no chance of any romance/bristling sexual tension with their dance partners. But if that was the reason for their 'demotion', that would probably be illegal, right? Darren is also guaranteed not to be getting sexy with his celeb. Nor Brian because he did that last season. Obviously James J is married but they need him to keep Ola and her tiny outfits on board. Why they've kept Anton (and Erin) is a mystery but I guess they have to have someone left who'll dance with the older, more pedestrian celebs.
I am crying sequinned tears for Matthew and Ian and so shocked but relieved that HRT Erin survived the cut.
It's clear the BBC suits are trying to make the show less cheesey - but I LOVE cheese.
Anna May x
Looks like I was wrong about Darren and Lilia - all signs point towards their walking.
Dark days. Bags of publicity for the BBC though.
Don't make such ridiculous assumptions - some people actually like James and Brendan and not some of the ones who are leaving.
I'm gutted about Matt, Ian and Lilia, but can't say I ever liked Brian or Darren. Yes, the changes are ridiculous, but you don't speak for everyone who watches Strctly, so don't act like you do!
I thought of you when I saw the news yesterday! Am going to miss your reviews of alien faced Brian. I agree Strictly needs to be cut down, but it seems daft to lose so many of their pros.
On the X Factor competition factor, you are right it is bonkers. I didn't get a look in with Strictly last year as the kids just wanted to watch people crying on the X Factor. Daft.
The Anonymouses (anonymice?) have spoken. Lots of people like James and Brendan (though nobody will speak for Anton, apparently) and views expressed herein are only my own etc etc.
Hmmmm.
I'm afraid I very rarely watch Strictly. I tend only to watch the highlights on i-player if someone has said something particularly amusing about them.
I have absolutely no views on the matter, so I depend on those of you who actually watch the whole show to provide an in-depth analysis!
Have to agree with you whole heartedly, by trying to make Strictly hip and trendy and appealing to the younger market, you are turning your back on the 10 million loyal viewers that the series has. Everyone has their personal favourite dancers, but to me it seems odd to drop three former champions, and to drop dancers that good at both latin & ballroom, choreograph great routines that match the talent of their dancers, and who are just as entertaining off the dancefloor on shows such as ITT. Like you I think there are some easy ways to increase the viewing figures:
1. Don't put it in direct competition with X factor
2. Actually look big and pay out and get decent celebrities that people might want to watch.
3. Cut down the number of competitors and weeks of the show.
It is obvious that one of the main reasons people watch is the talent of the professional dancers, you can see that by the sell out crowds at the current pro tour. Sadly the BBC seem to think that we want confrontation, rows, and untalented celebs getting in each week at the wrath of the judges. Sadly every time the BBC fiddle with the series it loses more viewers, and bringing in a break dancer and a talent amature who won a dance competition isn't going to win many more viewers back. I guess the BBC's attitude is Diversity won on ITV lets go modern
Love your blog and am going to follow you. If only you were a SCD producer I believe you could get the mix right. Oh what numpties - never mid I am one of the viewers - yes female, 50 and a Brian Fortuna Fan not to mention the lovely Ali, they have lost. The word of my son W....s!
I second, third and fourth your suggestion that they get rid of Bruce and Tess. No-one would have complained if the Beeb had axed them instead of Lilia, Darren et al. Bruce can't read the autocue and his jokes are lame. Tess is dead behind the eyes.
Post a Comment