"There's only one way to settle this. FIGHT!"Like the Spanish Inquisition, Steven Moffat's greatest weapon is the element of surprise. We all knew that Rory was bound to be brought back from the dead, but hands up who foresaw his reincarnation as a half-killer-robot Roman Legionnaire? So that would be no hands then. Verily my eyes nearly popped out of my head.
It was a terrific episode that sometimes teetered on the brink of lunacy but never quite toppled over. Looking back on it, it packed such a lot in that I'm not sure whether it was even the usual length. Firstly, a 'greatest hits' prologue where River Song (yay!) escapes incarceration again to bring the Doctor a Van Gogh painting of the Tardis exploding, with help from various characters from previous episodes of the series (the duffer episodes on the whole, sadly - Winston Churchill, I mean you) plus a blue-faced baldie in a Star Wars-style alien bar, and a message written into cliffs in a nod to Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. This was followed by a lengthy interlude modelled on Indiana Jones - this ep was homages a-go-go - where the Doctor and co find the Pandorica - basically a big box - underneath Stonehenge in Roman Britain. Some particularly pleasing business with a headless, one armed Cyberman guard followed, plus the cyberman's arm and its head operating independently. If I'd be pre-pubescent I'd have lost my lunch, in one direction or t'other, when the cyberhead opened to reveal the rotten human skull within. Help me Doctor Jones! At some point in all this Roman Rory showed up. How? Because miracles happen and not everything can be explained and OH LOOK WHAT'S THAT OVER THERE? Amy didn't remember him. Then she did. Because it was like he'd never been born only it wasn't because some residue is always left like the ring and even though she'd forgotten him some memory still remains because love conquers all even the death of time, even the destruction of the universe, what's that you say, how, well, I'll tell you how, it's because OH LOOK WHAT'S THAT OVER THERE? Then every baddie in the new Who universe turned up to claim the contents of the box. This was crap. Mainly because it reminded me how crap all the evil aliens are. Oh look, the crap iDaleks. Oh look, the crap ones that look like baked potatoes. Oh look, the kitchen sink. And so on. And the Doctor stood on a bit of Stonehenge with a really powerful microphone which was sadly not calibrated to work terribly well with my TV speakers so I don't actually know exactly what he said but it was some variation on COME AND HAVE A GO IF YOU THINK YOU'RE HARD ENOUGH. Matt Smith: don't tell anyone, but it turns out that I do quite like you after all.
And THEN the Pandorica opened to reveal not, as I was almost correct to expect, the Doctor himself, but a CHAIR for the Doctor to be TRAPPED in, because IT IS ALL A TRAP and it turns out that this whole series is a strange projection of the mind of Amy using psychic dust and some books she read as a child but conveniently keeps sitting on a side table even now that she's an adult, with her model of the Doctor, so that River Song can discover them when exploring her creepy house, just before blowing up the Tardis, but not before dosing us all with a hefty amount of WHAT THE FUCK and also HANG ON A SEC and WHICH UNIVERSE ARE THEY IN ANYWAY and DON'T TELL ME IT WAS ALL A DREAM and while we're on the subject RORY, DEFINITELY SEXIER AS A ROMAN, THOUGH LESS SEXY WHEN KILLING AMY WITH HIS KILLER ROBOT GUN HANDS plus I SERIOUSLY CAN'T FIGURE THIS ONE OUT and really I DON'T KNOW HOW YOU'RE GOING TO GET OUT OF THIS ONE, STEVE but IF IT IS SOME TIMEY WIMEY VARIATION ON IT WAS ALL A DREAM I AM GOING TO FLIP MY LID but in the meantime IT IS GOING TO BE MORE CLEVER THAN THAT or at least I HOPE SO and if they are in a universe ALL OF AMY'S IMAGINING maybe NONE OF THIS MATTERS ANYWAY and I bloody hope that MOFFAT IS BETTER THAN RTD AT RESOLVING THESE THINGS but really THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT.
And thus, see you next week.

10 comments:
You liked, then?
'Twas the CAPITALS that gave it awy... 8-)
Have caps ever been better deployed? (No.)
Hmmm. I just came away from this episode confused and annoyed. But, on the plus side, not bored after the unspeakably tedious 'OK so MS can play football' episode.
So.... still not feeling the DW love. But still watching, in hope!
There are times when only CAPS LOCK will do!
When Roman Rory took his helmet off (that sentence was never going to be entirely double entendre free, was it?) I actually yelled, in an homage to last week's episode, "I WASN'T EXPECTING THAT!".
I loved this episode. It's bonkers. And what chutzpah to have a cliffhanger be the end of the universe? None of your 'yeah, we'll spend an episode and a half faffing about and then nearly have the end of the universe but we'll avert it somehow' but actual, supernovas-and-roll-credits, end of the universe. Cannot WAIT to see how they get out of this one.
It was just FABULOUS. And Matt Smith shouting at the baddies was brilliant, so watch it again on iplayer, cos it was a really great last stand speech to match Aragorn's at the end of LoTR, and I am a SUCKER for that kind of stuff.
The skeleton falling out of the cyberman was genius. So was Rory not being remembered, then being remembered, then killing Amy but not wanting to just as he is being remembered....
I was exhausted at the end of it, but in a very good way.
And now I have a birthday party to plan before the universe ends. I do hope the Doctor can save us, otherwise it will be a waste of a good cake...
Was it just me who thought it might be younger Amy in the box? Because she is imagining their world somehow, might she not be the most powerful thing in the universe? I am interested to find out how that cement block ended up in front of the Tardis, but we know River Song has to reach the library so pretty sure she's not dead.
If it is as you say some sort of timelord version of 'it was all a dream' I will go insane. You should have seen me after Sunset Beach ended.
I'm so glad I averted my eyes before the end of your first paragraph, because we just managed to watch it illegally last night. Very glad to see Rory and they'd better not kill him again or I'm going to be really cross. Not so pleased to see the Cybermen, Daleks and bloody Sontarians, but elder daughter claims this only proves that I am not a true Who fan. She really liked River Song's retort about the Doctor never answering his phone. (So did I.)
Since this is a Steven Moffat finale and not an RTD* one, I live in hope. Although, elder daughter's grad is scheduled for next weekend, so the universe ending could really be inconvenient...
*(RTD fans: I like a lot of what Russell T Davies does, but I think his Who finales are rubbish.)
Well, it's a miracle, but... I liked it and am actually wanting to know what happens next saturday. I know, I know - I've not been biggest fan but at last I found that I actually cared about what happened to some people and didn't just look at the screen and go 'meh'. MS certainly did better for me, still not completely feeling him and I'm not convinced still he's 'The Doctor' but he's getting there (I seem to be lagging behind on this somewhat. However, I am not ready yet, as some seem to be, to say 'Tennant who?' and say that they always knew he was a rubbish Doctor as many seem to be doing.)
Come on Saturday and lets hope it all works out and doesn't just end with a complete rewind. Which I think it will, btw.
Post a Comment