Monday, 14 June 2010

Doctor Who: The Lodger

"And the goalkeeper's job is to keep hold of the ball and stop it going into the goal, right?"

Halfway through Sunday afternoon, I thought to myself 'I really need to watch yesterday's Doctor Who so that I can blog about it'. And then I remembered that I already had. This is not a good sign.

From what I can recall, 'The Lodger' featured The Doctor taking a room as James Corden's lodger to investigate dodgy goings-on in the flat upstairs, which was swallowing local people and keeping poor Amy stuck on the Tardis in a timewarp. Much of the action, such as it was, that ensued was the Doctor's attempts to appear normal and human, which - especially as Matt Smith - he is incapable of (though he manages pretty well in every other episode? Never mind). So he air kissed everyone hello, and turned out to be brilliant at football, probably because the episode was timed to go out on the same day as the first England match, and for an extended sequence he ran around wearing only a bath towel which made me miss David Tennant A LOT. James Corden meanwhile got fed up with it, especially because he couldn't woo his platonic best girl friend because the Doctor was getting in the way. But he loved the Doctor anyway, the way we all do, particularly after they did a mind-meld thingy (Corden's performance hit a high after that - "Oh my God it's Amy Pond!") and then - well here's the thing: I have NO RECOLLECTION WHATSOEVER of the denouement or what was happening in the upstairs flat or how they got out of it and how the episode ended. Which does suggest that the episode was sorely lacking in tension. Plus in general I never think it bodes well when what I purport to be a "review" is actually a synopsis because I have nothing to say about whether I enjoyed the episode or not. I mean, I didn't fall asleep. I was there for the duration.

So: not a high point. But not bad enough to be memorable either. I will rate this one with a solid, forgettable: "OK".

9 comments:

Rob Buckley said...

My review elsewhere. Not brilliant as you say, but I quite enjoyed it.

Presence of football was probably because:

a) James Corden was in it
b) Matt Smith was going to be a professional footballer until he was injured so they were dying for an excuse to let him show off his skills

Persephone said...

My gauge for the quality of a DW episode depends on how much I'd like to see it again. (I usually need to see a DW episode at least twice to figure out what's going on.) I'm not dreading seeing this one again, although I agree with you about the towel. James Corden's girlfriend gasped: "You didn't tell me he was gorgeous!" and I muttered "Who?" Oh. (For the record, I don't think Matt Smith is hideous. He's a fine-looking fella. Just not gorgeous.)

This weekend Canadians saw the first half of the Chibnall thing. I re-watched the first half-hour until I couldn't bear it anymore.

Nope. "The Lodger" was good fun on the re-watch-ability scale.

Delicate One said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Delicate One said...

I feel bad, but I forgot it was on. The horror!! I was distracted by six straight hours of Mr Darcy, so it seems I sent the Doctor into the crack for the week and stuck with high collars, boots and breeches.

Seems I the right choice.

I have seen screencaps of the ep however. I heartily agree about the prancing in the towel. Why were we not given his opportunity in the DT years? (I would count Ecclescake, but got his topless moment) What a waste of a magnificent natural resource ;)

Delicate One said...

Of course that should read 'Seems I MADE the right choice.' I did type it in there, honest I did. Bah!

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

How shallow are we? I think there was a universal collective sigh of wistful longing to have seen Tennant in a towel as the Doctor...

Anonymous said...

Oh, I thought this episode was sweeeeet. But then, I'm as emotionally incompetent as James Corden and his would-be girlfriend - I could do with a world-threatening crisis the next time I have a crush on someone. Anyway, it was a nice breather, in the way we've sort of got used to just before the big finale (which looks fracking amazing). And I was quite happy to see Matt Smith in a towel, and got a bit giggly when I realised the towel didn't go all the way around and revealed quite a lot of thigh. *blushes*

Stephanie said...

I just got around to watching this yesterday. I think it was the most boring episode of DW I have ever seen. Ever.
That's all.

Rob Buckley said...

@Stephanie: I spy with my little eye someone who's not seen "The Space Pirates"