Roll up roll up! Exciting new event ahoy.
In August, I will be co-hosting The Firestation Book Swap with Scott Pack, once grand fromage of Waterstones, now grand fromage of The Friday Project. He writes a great intro to it over here, much of which I will now repeat.
Basically, it's going to be a book event for people who love book events but are also slightly bored of them (for example: all authors.) We're going to invite two or three writers who are also good talkers onto the sofa and chat about all kinds of things. I don't know what kinds of things yet, because part of the evening will involve pulling questions written by the audience out of a jar, and we're going to have a no-questions-about-writing rule for those. There will be no reading out loud and guests will be chosen for being interesting rather than having a new book to promote. We're going to have an audience-manned Twitter feed for the event, and hopefully a podcast, so it's very up to the hip moment, yeah. I have a strong suspicion there will be tea and cake, because I have never done anything with Scott which has not involved tea and cake.
The reason it's called the Firestation Book Swap is that it's taking place in a converted firestation, and all audience members and guests will be asked to bring a book they don't want any more to swap, and afterwards we'll all go to the bar and chat and swap our books.
As for the Firestation, it's a very cool new arts centre in Windsor. I can only speak as a Londoner, but Windsor is a piece of piss to get to from London, as it's only half an hour by train from Paddington and a bit longer from Waterloo. It is even easier to get to from Windsor.
More news as it breaks. Meanwhile, if you are an author thinking: hey, I want to take part in that book event because I can chat and I like cake and I don't like reading out loud, or a publisher / agent etc thinking: how do we get our authors into that cooler than cool Firestation, it sounds so very cool, then get in touch with me - strugglingauthor [at] tiscali [dot] co [dot] uk.
Meanwhile, while we're talking events, just a reminder that I will be giving a talk on How To Write A Novel at the London Writers' Club in Clerkenwell on Tuesday July 7th. Tickets now on sale for a tenner, they are £15 on the door.
Employee gets laid off due to extreme body odor: ‘I genuinely felt bad for
him. He had only just started the job and hadn’t really had the chance to
show what he could contribute. You could tell he felt embarrassed and
ashamed’
-
To pass the smell test
I felt really identified with this story because I've had to deal with this
issue multiple times in my life. I don't mean with my bo...
2 hours ago

No comments:
Post a Comment