Thursday, 26 February 2009

Lipgloss Doooooooom

OK, I know that these posts are not interesting for most people. But I DON'T CARE. It's MY blog, and I am the one in LIPGLOSS DOOM. I think there is going to be more SHOUTING on this post. YES. Because I am in DESPAIR.

I've never been much of a person for make-up, but lately I have given in, because it was undeniable that wearing a bit of the stuff made me look better, and I am vain like that. So I wear Touche Eclat under my eyes, a bit of mascara and eyebrow pencil, Benetint on my cheeks, and until now I wore Clinique lipgloss most days. In fact I've been wearing the same shade of Clinique lipgloss for several years, because this particular one suits me and goes with all my clothes. Today, I popped into Selfridges to buy a new tube of it, and discovered that CLINIQUE HAVE STOPPED MAKING IT. This is a DISASTER. So I thought, sensible person that I am, well OK, I will choose the nearest shade that they have and try that. Except NOT ONLY have Clinique stopped making my favourite shade, they have also changed the CONSTITUTION of their ligloss, so that what was a nice, comfortable, easy to wear gloss is now something more akin to a coloured tube of GLUE. In the three seconds between me putting it on and me wiping it off in DISGUST, leaving my mouth looking as if I had been eating CHERRY JAM, half of my HAIR had already STUCK ITSELF to my MOUTH, AND I WAS WEARING IT BACK. My hair. Not my mouth.

So I left the shop with no lipgloss and only a week's worth left of my much-beloved one in the bottom of the tube. DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOMITY DOOM. DOOOOOOOOOOOOM. DOOM.

Ladies, and cross-dressing males. Can you help me? I need a nice, comfortable, non-sticky, non-gluey, coloured gloss, ideally in a plum shade. I am less concerned with durability than with it not welding my hair to my lips every time I go out on a breezy day. Please. Even Obi Wan Kinobe can't help me now.

12 comments:

fabhat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
fabhat said...

I recommend shiseido lip gloss - light texture non drying and doesn't attract every passing object to stick to it, like a cartoon magnet. I use a colour called petal pink which sounds wussy, but is very flattering...and I'm on my 3rd tube, so it is addictive.

Marie said...

Thank you fabhat. I have just looked and their 'Bare Berry' colour looks ideal. Where can I buy it in the real world? For obvious reasons, I *must* try before I buy.

Also: I love the awful music their website plays.

Marie said...

OMG fabhat, I just checked your blog, and now I know exactly where to send my lipgloss questions of the future! Thank you fabhat!

Fabhat said...

Oh yes - random information is my thing. Looks like I might have bought mine in France, although I thought I got it in Liberty's. Selfridges and Space NK might all be worth a look. Should it become apparent that I have given you a duff (ie not available) steer I also recommend chantecaille lips glosses which are truly luscious, but a bit more expensive...

fabhat said...

Marie - you shall go to the ball - shiseido stockists in London:

http://www.shiseido.co.uk/#/storelocator

Billy said...

I can offer no insight on make-up other than I am impressed with anyone who can successfully apply mascara on the bus.

Marie said...

Presumably "successfully" means "without drawing stripes all over face or skewering own eyeball with mascara wand". Me too, in other words.

Anonymous said...

Stick with what you know. I dipped into my daughter's make up bag and secretly tried her new lip gloss and it ATTACKED me. I had an Angelina moment but sadly I was home alone at the time.

Anna May x
www.annamaymangan.co.uk

ps: can't beat Benefit lip gloss - very non jammy

Rebecca said...

The body shop lip gloss Maman gave me at Christmas has a very nice non-sticky texture. I'm sure it comes in other shades.

Anonymous said...

I'm very happy with Max Factor Silk Gloss limited edition tubes, although I am not sure if they still make those either :\

Helen Brocklebank said...

i know exactly what you mean about glue lipgloss - i always end up with my hair bonded to my face, courtesy of whatever beautiful but impossibly impractical Bobbi Brown goo I've slicked on. However, Dior is about to launch a new range of glosses (gloss sirop brillance pulpeuse), and there's one called Grenadine Syrup which is divine. Don't be put off by the fact it looks bright pink in the tube: it goes on plummy, albeit sheer, and it lasts too. Otherwise, Chanel has a fab one but I can't remember its name. x