Last time I flew on Ryanair I swore I would never do it again. It was a bank holiday, and they only had one check-in person on the desk. We had to queue for over an hour just to drop out bags off - we'd "checked in" online, whatever that means when you don't get a seat allocation and you have to queue to leave your bags anyway - and then we had to run to the departure desk, to queue again, to be allowed onto the hideously decorated, cramped and uncomfortable plane, with no seat allocations, which meant lots of begging other passengers to swap with us so we could sit with my nephews ago 4 and 2, because Ryanair don't let parents traveling with kids board first. I think you can buy priority boarding but it was too late for us to do that because it took us so long to "not" check in. Then of course there are all the extra charges for food and drink and so on. While we were on the plane my sister told me that you have to pay to use the loo, and I believed her. But it was just a joke. Or at least, it was just a joke until now.If you follow this link you can see the head of Ryanair talking to the BBC about his plans to charge passengers £1 to use the toilet on the plane. I'd embed the clip, but BBC clips start automatically and the last thing I want is Michael O'Leary's demonic voice every time someone comes to this blog. You'll note that he couches this £1 charge as a saving, because all O'Leary wants to do is to keep the cost of air travel down, by increasing "discretionary charges". Going to the loo is discretionary, don't you know. It's something you can choose not to do. Like checking in, or having luggage, or taking your child's carseat with you, or all the other things that Ryanair charges you extra for.
OK, it is a budget airline, and I might consider cutting it some slack if it wasn't for this. This is the recent incident where a blogger posted about an error on the Ryanair website which meant that flights came up as costing 0.00, eliciting the following charming reply from a Ryanair employee:
jason! you're an idiot and a liar!! fact is!
you've opened one session then another and requested a page meant for a different session, you are so stupid you dont even know how you did it! you dont get a free flight, there is no dynamic data to render which is prob why you got 0.00. what self respecting developer uses a crappy CMS such as word press anyway AND puts they're mobile ph number online, i suppose even a prank call is better than nothing on a lonely sat evening!!
Following Jason's remarkably reasonable response, the employee returned to add:
Hehe - I found a bug that lets me show anything I want on your site.
All I have to do is put something along the lines of javascript:void(document.write('hehe')) into the address bar, and I can do whatever I want with your site ( or indeed any other site ).
I'm not sure what you think you've achieved here - that wouldn't have gotten you through to the back end. You wouldn't even have been able to enter passenger information.
You must never have seen a decent exploit, if you think this is something worth bragging about. There is another exploit you could try - wait until we're running a promotion when we give away a million odd seats for free anyway.
[Aside: free flights with Ryanair are (a) never actually free and (b) still too expensive in my book]
Pressed for comment, Ryanair released the following official statement which goes to prove that charm runs all the way through this company from the bottom to the top:
Ryanair can confirm that a Ryanair staff member did engage in a blog discussion. It is Ryanair policy not to waste time and energy corresponding with idiot bloggers and Ryanair can confirm that it won't be happening again.
Lunatic bloggers can have the blog sphere all to themselves as our people are far too busy driving down the cost of air travel.
This idiot lunatic is happy to keep the blog sphere, and to leave the skies to Ryanair. They will never, ever get any of my money ever, ever again. Not even 0.00 of it. I would rather never fly again. I HATE THEM. It is hard for me to think of a company more openly contemptuous of their customers, although if you can, feel free to use the comments to let me know.
[goes off to buy Easyjet flight for her summer holiday to France.]

21 comments:
I am a terrible plane snob. I live near Heathrow and will only travel from there and am prepared to pay hundreds of pounds more to ensure that I have a nice seat and arrive back well fed at an airport 15 mins from my house.
As for paying £1 for the loo. Presumably the alternative is to poo in the aisle? A few passengers doing that and they'll soon change their mind.
I second that (e)motion.
I have to declare in interest that I used to work for British Airways... but this stuff from Ryanair really does make me think 'Do I want to fly in a thin metal tube, thousands of feet up in the air, in the hands of these kinds of people?...'
It doesn't exactly shriek "obsessive attention to safety", does it?
"Welcome to Air Bastard. We don't give a toss whether you enjoy your flight."
You know you can use your mobile phone on board Ryanair planes now too?
So, so classy.
Oh and on the pound-a-pee thing, Ryanair's head of communications had this to say this evening:
“Michael makes a lot of this stuff up as he goes along and while this has been discussed internally there are no immediate plans to introduce it.”
I weep.
No no no! Don't use Easyjet either! I just had a horrendous customer service experience with them.
I find BA to be just as reasonable - even cheaper actually - (if you're booking less then 3 months in advance) and so much more civilized. Easyjet are not getting a penny of my money now, and after your article, neither are Ryanair.
Both horrendous.
Luckily, I've never had the Ryanair misfortune, and I can say I NEVER will. One of the glorious things about being a consumer - I have a brain that doesn't allow me to do business with wankers... even if I'm one of those lunatic bloggers.
Never done Ryanair, but have done Easyjet with small people and ... hmm. Was ok, and they did at least get us on the plane first, but I still felt deeply worried that the stewards and stewardesses seemed to be about ten. Was reminded very much of the brilliant Comic Strip two parter South Atlantic Raiders when Robbie Coltrane et al steal a plane, which Robbie flies. My favourite line is Peter Richardson's pissed co pilot saying um , we're going to fly very high and very fast, and signing out Donald Duck. Sounds like he works at Ryannair...
Ryanair already charges to use the loo. My sister-in-law used the loo on a Ryanair flight, but the taps weren't working, because they'd not had time to refill the water tank because of their fast turn-round times. She insisted on being able to wash her hands, was given a bottle of water and then charged for it. Her gast was so flabbered she paid up.
Never, never use Ryanair.
Ok! You have convinced me! I wont use them. So far, crossed fingers, I have found Easy Jet pretty ok though.....
I didn't have a choice not choosing ryanair with my current destination despite i had a horrible experience with them 2years ago. Now it is even worse--booked my flight, somehow they managed to retrieve the wrong information, it is different from the information i saw on payment page. URGH! cant get through to them either...
so angry! they are charging extra handling fee without your acknowledgement as well--they don't have moral!
Cost of Ryanair flights to Malaga for three days, inc taxes, aviation insurance etc, plus an across the board handling charge regardless of how you pay of £4.75 per person regardless of whether you pay with one card or six cards, £121.
Same flights with easyjet but from Glasgow instead of Prestwick, £142.
Cheaper than easyjet for same journey? Of course not.
Cost of travel to crap out of town Prestwick airport in car: £5 petrol each way
Cost of car park at Prestwick (wouldn’t need one for Glasgow airport, just get dropped off and picked up): £21.99
Cost outbound for 5 extra kgs of baggage (despite our party being 9kg underweight as a group): £80 (free on Easyjet as they allow up to 20kgs in hold luggage)
Cost return for 5kg extra luggage: £82 (90 euros)
Cost of one cup of tea on board: £3 (literally a teabag and hot water)
Cost of one chicken wrap: £6
Total: £323.99
My friend who is constantly budgeting for everything was the one who suggested and booked our Ryanair flights for a party of 6 people to fly to Malaga from Glasgow. It cost me £202 extra for her decision to choose the ‘cheaper option’ of Ryanair. I was well aware of the extra charge for heavy luggage but unfortunately because of the purpose of our trip I had no choice but to pack certain items which took me to 20kg. This was despite our collective baggage total, including my heavy one, being 9kg under Ryanair’s limit.
Had we flown Easyjet (a whole £20 more at point of sale) I would not have spent anywhere near that amount. A lift to the airport and back, free, baggage within their weight limit, free, and I would have had time to eat at the airport as it is 15 minutes from home, not an hour, so would not have been forced to either eat on the plane at the cost of £9, or starve for three hours (plus a one hour delay).
My philosophy has always been, if you buy cheap you buy twice. Never was this more true than with Ryanair. I was not in charge of these travel arrangements or I would not have chosen to fly Ryanair. In future I will not fly Ryanair. Nor will I ever recommend Ryanair to anyone.
I've used ryanair a lot in the past (I came back from London the other day, actually). I always say "this is the last time..." but I go on making the same mistake. This has been the very last time, I swear my life.
Their flights are always delayed. If you're lucky 30 minutes, otherwise even 2 hours. The employees treat people like beasts.
I have an experience with Easyjet and I must admit they're much better.
I won't fly RyanAir, anymore.
PS: On Friday I landed in London with 2 hours delay. I reached my destination at 2am :-s
Alberto
i flew from shannon to malaga2person and i paid 26 euro,i had 2 coffee for 6 euro,total 32 euro.The crew was lovely!
I think that problem is that you dont want spend money!they have rules and you are free to follow it or not(drinks,baggage,priority....)
i like ryanair and i always will fly with them!!!!
Ryanair really are the worst airline in Britain, I always tell myself "this is the last time". I've just booked to fly to Fez in Morocco, I couldn't afford the train from London otherwise I would have. I spent hours looking for alternatives to avoid using Ryanair but I've had to book. I feel dirty.
Has anyone else had this experience of Ryanair. In Palma they only open one check in desk. Even getting to the airport 2 and a half hours before departure it takes almost 2 hours to check in, dash through security and if held up get to boarding gates to find the flight has gone, your suitcase offloaded (flight left at scheduled time). Have to buy a new ticket as Ryanair say it´s your own fault you´ve missed the flight!
You people complain too much. LCCs have to make money, and there are ways to save bucketloads when you fly. Don't eat or drink for 48 hours prior to flight and you will save. Lose a couple of pounds and, if you have a receipt for the lost weight, you can carry that amount as hand luggage at half the normal rate.
LCCs are about choice. I think that's choice, don't you?
Robert E. Coli
CEO Thromby Air - Lowest of the Low
www.thrombyair.com
I have flown with Ryanair 32 times in the last year only one flight was late just over an hour due to bad weather I have just returned from flying from east midlands to Rome then Rome to Brussels,Brussels to Krakow,then back to Birmingham.No problems with any of the flights absolutly fantastic and all this at a total cost of £55.35 no extra charges at all.Use a prepaid mastercard and there is no booking fee.In my experience Ryanair provide an excellent low cost service to travel around Europe.Over 73 million passengers last year you sad knockers are pathetic
Mike Burke is Ryanair Staff #4. Be a bit more subtle next time 'mike'
my partner and i have just been robbed by ryanair yet again.
Its just typical they are the only airline that fly the route we use
£100 charge for changing flights plus an extra £20 for the card transaction
Which we have paid once on the original flights.
They make me fucking sick,
i would love to bump into o,leary i would knock him out where he stood the money grabbing bastard.
Post a Comment