It's going to be a bit experimental because I have no idea how to run a book club on a blog, but for now I'm going to say let's meet back here on the third Thursday of every month ('cause it's the third Thursday today, no other reason) and chat in the comments about the book we have been reading. This month we are reading Ali and Nino by Kurban Said...

...and we will be discussing it on Thursday March 19th. People in other time zones will have to wait until I get up. You will be allowed to carry on commenting after Thursday 19th. It won't be a very strict book club. I think I will probably be quite strict about book choices though, because the one thing I hate about book clubs is being made to read books that I don't want to read. So chances are that in the WWTTMBC the book of the month will be whatever I happen to be reading anyway. Hey, it's my club. And so it will be a very small book choice dictatorship. But that's OK. It's a benign dictatorship. No secret police (well, I would say that...) And I will take reading suggestions from the floor. Plus one of the things that isn't strict about the book club is you don't have to finish the book, or even read the book, or even say anything, if you don't want to. You can still eavesdrop on the conversation. It's just for fun. In the way that all dictatorships are fun one way or another (eg outfits) (the WWTTMBC will not have a special outfit) (not yet anyway).
Are you in?

20 comments:
Can I comment about the book cover design? I very much like the one you have picked out for the first book.
Yes you can be our resident design expert!
Marie, that's a great idea. I have never been a member of a book club (I am so not a club kind of person, and it's always felt a bit like a busman's holiday for me...), but I think I could cope with being in a blogging bookclub. Except that I know I am 100% likely to have either not read/had time to read the books. But I am happy to eavesdrop the conversations anyway. And I will join in if I find perchance I HAVE read the books...
I'm in, I've read Ali and Nemo and I'll just scan it again so I can remember what it's all about!
Oooops! Nino! Too much Disney. Shame on me.
Is it OK to be a man in the Woman WTTM Book Club? If so, then I'm in too, even though, you are such a "booktator".
pedro
Totally. You can totally be a man and talk the exact amount that you wish to talk. That is totally allowed in my booktatorship. As is overuse of the word totally.
I think I maybe just an observer of this if the booktator doesn't mind. I may comment if by chance I've actually read that certain book of the time.
Excellent! And benign dictatorships are the only way to run a bookclub - my last one crumbled when it was too democratic and someone chose Jilly Cooper - everyone scoffed and the club never really recovered. (Though I did get to make devils on horsebacks.)I'm looking forward to Ali and Nino.
Claire in Sydney
I think I shall also participate if I happen to be reading the book, or like the look of the book. I don't tend to read many "clever" books so don't know how much I could contribute! (currently reading Leonardo's Swans.) I really like the idea though!
Just Googled Leonard's swans and it seems it might be a clever book after all! Maybe I could contribute ...
I ordered the book and will attempt to get it read by the 19th.
Ali and Nino is not that clever, also it is pretty short.
Brilliant idea! I will pursue said book asap...
Fantastic! I like the idea of a book club much more than actually attending a book club so this is perfect for me.
p.s. I think you really should consider special outfits.
Third Thursday? Sounds strangely familiar....
Does everyone know each other herein 'real life'? Is it OK if an outsider comme moi, who came to TWWTTM from Marbury's blog, tries to participate in the book club? Here in Bangkok there is rather a dearth of English-language book clubs, so I'd like to try to join in when I can find the book in question.
It's a wonderful book, is Ali and Nino, though Said should've called it Love in the Caucasus. Or maybe Love in Caucasia. Love in Baku? Anyway, the horse-race-type scene is great stuff.
I know a few but not all of these people in the real world, and they don't know each other. This is absolutely an all-encompassing, strangers-welcome book dictatorship. BEM there are no outsiders here!
A dictatorship without xenophobia surely must be a benign one. :) Now if only I can find Ali and Nino at Asia Books or Kinokuniya...
Post a Comment