Tuesday, 8 January 2008

Pop! What is it Good For?

Inspiration comes in the funniest places.

I suppose most people would assume that as a writer you get your inspiration from other writers. Well, yes, of course. But it's complicated. I tend to measure my achievements in comparison with my peer group, so that I know that I'm doing well if I'm keeping up with the best. That was fine for grades at school but it's rather more depressing now. I used to come top in my class and I can't any more. The last three books I've read have been: Dickens' Bleak House (actually I'm still only 1/3 of the way through); Peter Carey's Illywhacker; Vikram Chandra's Sacred Games. Bleak House probably speaks for itself, of the other two Illywhacker is double-Booker-winner Carey near the top of his game, and Sacred Games is a brilliant 900 page modern Indian epic. These are not good mirrors to look in. In fact, in general I read relatively highbrow literary fiction, and that is not what I write. What I write is the kind of book that the New York Times suggests was put together with fiction-writing software - yes: I'm still sore about that, when I wish I could have got a computer to do it rather than put two and a half years of my own sweat into it. It's hard enough to write the light and the structurally simple, how the hell does anyone manage proper literature? I'm being a little disingenuous here as I think that my book has its own strengths - notably, it is funny, and it sneaks in some intellectualism like a pill in jam - but compared to Dickens it's pretty pale.

Anyway, channel-hopping tonight, I stumbled over the BBC4 Paul Morley documentary Pop! What is it Good For? which, as you might expect, was a smart investigation into pop music for the brainy listener. It was beautifully put together with some really lovely post-modern editing techniques (forgive the pretension - I used to work in TV docs back in the day), a decent clutch of interesting interviewees and, unsurprisingly, a cracking soundtrack.

Some way into the programme, Paul Morley started talking about the Kinks. As I listened to the wonderful Waterloo Sunset, something in me started to stir, and as he moved on to Lola, I thought: that's it! that's what I'm trying to do! If Gods Behaving Badly were a pop song, I'd like to think it would be Lola:



It's such a great story and it's clever and cool and it makes you want to sing along and you're already there within seconds. It is probably better than Gods Behaving Badly but I definitely felt as if I was comparing like with like. Which is not how I feel when I'm reading Bleak House.

Then a little while later into the documentary, Morley was interviewing Peter Blake who was talking about his development as an artist in the sixties. He says, and I can't remember it exactly, that you get classical music and pop music, and what he was doing was the equivalent, pop art as opposed to classical art. Here's a bit of Peter Blake:

I thought: Yippee! Maybe I don't have to be a classical novelist. Maybe I can be a pop novelist. Maybe I can be like Ray Davies or Peter Blake. They're no lesser because they aren't Mozart or Michelangelo. They are doing something else.

By the time Simon Armitage was dissecting the poetry of Morrissey and This Charming Man I was bouncing off the walls with excitement.



I want my novels to be like listening to a really great pop song. A song that makes you smile (or cry) and makes you think and makes you dance and it's over in three minutes and you never forget it.

Other books can only provide you with so much inspiration, sometimes you have to look somewhere else. I'd forgotten about the joy that comes from a song so perfect and simple and true that it becomes a part of you without you even having to try. That moment of instant recognition when a pop song goes right for your soul. As transient and delicious as a kiss, or a really good chocolate. That's what I want to write, only as a novel. Just once would be enough.

9 comments:

Persephone said...

I've always been puzzled as to why humour is denigrated in art. Why, for example, are actors only considered great if they do dramatic roles? And why is everyone astonished when a comedian (such as Robin Williams, Billy Crystal, or Catherine Tate, for example) can do a straight (as in unfunny) role? I'm far more impressed when an actor known only for serious parts pulls off a comedic tour-de-force. As the saying goes: "Dying is easy; comedy is hard" -- a quote attributed to a whole bunch of dying actors including Donald Wolfit and Edmund Kean. Anyone who understands the tiniest bit about the art of acting must surely realize that if you have comedic timing, then you have the timing to move to tears.

I get the distinct impression that the Harry Potter books are looked down upon because they are actually very funny, unlike supposedly "better" series such as "His Dark Materials" and "The Lord of the Rings", which I find bleak beyond belief. Nevertheless, I think the underlying messages of Harry Potter are very moving, very deep, and in many ways, more effective.

I'm still reading "Gods Behaving Badly", but I've been moved there, too. I liked the Eros' comment about people being into romance and sex, rather than love, and I'm finding Neil's experiences of loss and grief (hope this isn't a spoiler) utterly convincing. The truth is there, both unique and universal, amid the madness (and hilarity) of the situation. And the same can be said of "Lola" -- a song I loved when I was thirteen when I didn't have a clue, and love just as much these days, when I can claim to have a few more clues.

Karen said...

I think you did it, with Gods Behaving Badly. I've just recommended it as Book of the Week in my local newspaper column!

John Soanes said...

Caught the last few minutes of this, and at the risk of sounding unkind, I thought that the Sugababes looked a little confused by his not-entirely-complicated questions.
I like your approach, though - there seems to be something of a movement in USA novelists (I'm thinking of Chabon and Lethem in the first instance) towards books which might once have been dismissed as 'genre fiction', and I think that's only healthy, given that not everyone wants to read a brain-taxingly complex story which is as good as designed to be studied at A-level all the time...
J

Marie said...

Persephone - personally I prefer Lord of the Rings and His Dark Materials to Harry Potter because their prose style is more to my taste, but that's a personal thing. It doesn't have anything to do with humour, in my case at least. Regarding actors, what I find sad is when gifted comedians take on more and more straight roles in order to be taken sreiously as an actor, when I just miss them being funny. Glad you're still enjoying GBB.

Karen - thank you!

John, that Sugababes interview was hilarious. They obviously had no idea what had hit them and were trying all of their one-size-fits-all reponses, and none of them worked. I also liked the fact that they were drowned out by Phil Collins for the entire conversation. I have long had a girl crush on Heidi Sugababe, incidentally, but only when she is not talking.

Jane Henry said...

Marie, hope it's not too gushing to say you have already achieved your aim. GBB was my favourite book of last year and stayed in my head long after other books have gone out of it. I agree with Persephone about Neil as well. A very good friend of mine was once in his position and you've got the emotions taped I think.

On a similar theme I've just read Alison Kervin's Wag's Diary which is pop fiction at its best. I laughed and laughed and was also unexpectedly moved in other places.

Damn I wish I'd watched that programme now Ray Davies is one of my heroes - Lola always makes me laugh, Waterloo Sunset is just fab fab fab (and I love it particularly because I used to walk across Waterloo Bridge when I was commuting) though my favourite is You Really Got Me, so simple and yet so brilliant. I saw him live last year and he was fantastic.

If it's any consolation my mother read my book and said, it's very well written and you certainly want to read on. And that was it. She is far more a Dickens kind of girl though, so I didn't really expect anything else!

JonathanM said...

Up here on the hill, we have a rockin' vicar - he recently went on an Arvon songwriting course with Ray Davies and then just last week he was playing live with his band, The Effras, on the Robert Elms show.

Perhaps Pop! moves in mysterious ways...

Rob Buckley said...

One golden rule of documentaries: Paul Morley should always be listened to, for he is both entertaining and clever.

Billy said...

Morrissey is very funny considering he's supposed to be depressing.

And you can't go wrong with Lola, wonderfully ambiguous.

Anna Lowman (annawaits) said...

What a fab post :D