Me on French TV - in
English or in
French (about five minutes in, after the Peace Orchestra feature). Spot the difference - we recorded the interview twice, once in each language. The scariest part wasn't the interview at all but forcing myself to watch the French version, it's bad enough hearing myself speak a language that I know how to pronounce. Watching myself speak French is like watching a slightly more stupid version of myself. Slightly more stupid, and, due to the joys of the lens, also slightly fatter. That's how I like to be. Also, if you want to play a drinking game in the French version, try taking a chug every time I say the word "donc". Actually it's not too bad - I appear to have weaned myself off the habit of looking at the ceiling every time I'm trying to think of what to say (cf
YouTube - or, please, don't), so at least it looks as if I'm talking to the presenter this time. Maybe next time I'll learn how to stop grinning and nodding like a dog in a car...
8 comments:
I have just watched the French interview, and I think you did very well. Will C&P be getting copies of the French version of your book, or do I need to order it on the Internet? On second thought, I think I shall wait until they have signed copies :-). I am now off to listen to the English version of the interview.
Funny how your interviewer comes off as less geeky somehow in the French version! Why is the third question so different in the two versions? Was it for time considerations? I'm "sesqui-lingual" at best (probably less, as I've been too embarrassed to speak French for years), so I'm very envious of your fluency!
I don't know why the questions are different in the French and the English version - we recorded the French version first, so maybe he didn't like my answer in that one! French is his first language so he probably seems more comfortable, hence less geeky, in that version. In each version somebody is having a bit of trouble speaking fluently...
Pierre, I don't know if C&P will be getting any French language editions or even if they can order them from France, so best to give them a call and ask.
You did so well in French. My heavens, you charmed the moderator. He looked a bit flushed in the end. Or, were you talking over the time allotment?
Talking over the time allotment? Does that sound like me?
I lost count of the doncs, but Marie you sounded (to my untrained ears anyway!) great in French. And I think the French interview was more animated actually - possibly because the interviewer was speaking his own language. But I don't know what you're talking about ... I couldn't string a sentence together in French for TV, so am very impressed!
I only watched the French version and you seemed fine in that: very impressive and still animated about questions you must have been asked countless times before.
As for my French, I can understand it when it is spoken to me, but I cannot speak it at all well. I have trouble speaking English in real-time, let alone another language.
Interesting cover to the French edition: did you have approval on that one as well?
You didn't do what I do when I speak French and get nervous - I accelerate until I'm tripping over my own toungue (jeux de mots, la!). Seemed very pro and I was very impressed. Nice one, Sis :)
Bro
Post a Comment