Wednesday, 4 May 2011

Doctor Who: the Impossible Astronaut, and the other one I haven't had time to look up the title of.

We're now in our second series with Matt Smith as the Doc and Steven Moffat pulling the levers behind the scenes, Wizard of Oz style. I felt quite gratified recently when I read an interview with Moffat saying that he'd began by writing a Tennant-ish Doctor and had only gradually made his way over to writing for the character developed by Matt Smith, as that was absolutely how I'd experienced the last series (she writes, not actually checking her episode reviews to see how that tallies with reality - feel free to check, and to mock me for my inconstancy). This series has started so Smith-esque it now feels impossible to imagine Tennant playing the role, which is exactly as it should be.

As for these opening episodes, I was largely delighted and also fairly largely confused. But then the confusion added to the delight, because since the very first of the rebooted Who series, all I've wanted is a proper series-long arc, not just some blink-and-you'll-miss-them clues which are hastily resolved in the finale as per every other season. So although this was allegedly a two-parter, we're left with some colossal questions: how are the companions going to stop the Doctor from dying? Who was in the space suit? What's River Song's secret? What's going on with Amy's pregnancy? Who is the little girl? Who is the woman with the eye patch? And just when you thought you had plenty to be getting on with, WTF IS THE LITTLE GIRL DOING REGENERATING AT THE END?????

I have theories aplenty. I don't think River is Amy's daughter, because GROSS - does he just wait sixteen years and then pounce? - and also it seems unlikely that Amy and Rory, knowing River Song, would name their daughter River Song just in case. The little girl could be Amy's daughter, though in that case what is she doing regenerating? - just sort of caught it off the Tardis? because she was conceived in the Tardis? Which is also GROSS, because the only nookie that should go on in there is *see paragraph one* or maybe the Doctor and River WHO IS NOT A BABY. The person who kills the Doctor is totally the Doctor. Or River. Or Amy. Or Rory. No, not Rory. Or the little girl, who then sucks up the Doctor energy and regenerates back into him by the bins next to the homeless bloke. Maybe.

Some of the details of the episodes themselves actually pale a bit against this speculation. On the whole I don't think Doctor Who should ever do America, as it's never convincing - bad accents, bad sets, bad comparisons with better, more expensive American Sci Fi shows - and reminds me of those episodes when Eastenders go to the seaside. I also can't help but wonder why, if the Silence (scary, nasty, evil - good stuff) have had control over this planet and everything on it since the dawn of time, all they've done with that power is get themselves a nifty spacesuit. I do wish Amy would stop getting captured, though it was seriously creepy this time, and I desperately, DESPERATELY want Rory to be less wet. At the moment it's like having a heap of algae on the Tardis. (Cute in his disguise specs, though. Costume department take note.)

However, however. Let's not go overboard. It was disorienting and frightening and properly unpleasant at times (the evil orphanage? *shudder*), big points for that, though a few points minused for not considering that your own face is a stupid place to put marks that are meant to remind you of something. It was a great set-up for the series as a whole. And basically the more River Song kicking arse and flirting the better, in my opinion, and not only because I'm closer in age to her than I am to Amy and therefore makes it easier to fantasise about *see paragraph one*. I can't pass judgement on the blafflingness of various baffling bits because they may become less baffling as the series progresses. We'll have to reconvene on that one.

Verdict? All in all an excellent start. I am agog as to how it will resolve.

10 comments:

Helen said...

Totally agree with the "writing for DT" last series. I spent the whole thing thinking, "ooh, that would have been SO MUCH better if DT had said/done/licked it". I didn't think that once this series. Not once.

alison said...

Interesting. Very interesting (rubbing my chin here). Like you I'm enjoying the series arc - to think it was all mapped out way back when is mind bogglingly. I keep being told by people to go back and watch Silence in the Library for vital clues. Did the Doctor and Amy ever get it on? Then the child would be able to regenerate.

However my son, who is 11, totally disagrees. He wants something that he can understand, or at least make an attempt to. He wants it episodic. He is totally stumped by this storyline and I am having a hard time explaining it to him!

Persephone said...

Okay, when Deer Baby gets through explaining this to her son, she can have a crack at explaining it to me! I had to watch this three times over and I'm still going "What? What? What?" (à la Doctor Ten).

Am I the only one who noticed the Silents' arch-shaped thingie is the same thingie in the non-existent attic of The Lodger from last season? (I'm sure I'm not, but you'll not catch me going anywhere near Outpost Gallifrey. I value my life.)

I wasn't too troubled by the American accents because according to IMDB, a lot of the actors were American, although they occasionally used Anglicisms that didn't sit well with their accents. Didn't think much of Nixon, he wasn't very Nixonish; with Doctor Who's profile and budget, couldn't they get Frank Langella or Anthony Hopkins? Now, those guys can do Nixon.

Oh and since when does the Doctor kill off his enemies with no mercy, unless they're Cybermen or Daleks? (He's far better at bumping off innocent bystanders by refusing to kill hostile aliens.) If the Silents have been controlling things since Gosh knows when, doesn't it mess up history if you go back to 1969 and get human kind to blow them away? Won't everything massively change for the next 40-odd years? Amy might not even get born!

One last question: did they tell David Tennant he'd get to snog River Song if he stayed on as Doctor? I'll bet they didn't...

Anonymous said...

I LOVED THIS. I agree, any 'wuh?' in the episodes themselves were kicked to one side by the all conquering fabulousness of the narrative arc. I didn't, for example, mind that we didn't see how they got out of the warehouse. It'd only have been a maguffin like a squareness gun and that would have wasted time. Time that could be filled with adding more stuff for me to point and gawp at and go "but... that! What's that? What does this MEAN?"

At the end of ep 1 I was convinced Amy wasn't pregnant because they'd made such a hoo-hah over everyone drinking wine at the picnic. Yet a couple of hours later she's telling the Doctor she's pregnant. A friend of mine suggested "bad mother", but making a statement about the overly proscriptive lifestyle choices forced upon pregnant women at 6pm on a Saturday feels a bit unlikely. I'd like to think this was The Moff flagging up the whole "this pregnancy's not what you think it is" quite early.

(Incidentally, I saw on Twitter a description of Amy's confused physical state as "Schrodinger's tw*t". I couldn't possibly condone such language, but I have been hooting with laughter for about four days.)

Also... am wondering whether "Silence will fall" is actually "[The] Silents/ce [Empire] will fall". Since they've been controlling human activity - and presumably progress - since the beginning, will getting rid of them cause humanity to implode? Are they on planets other than Earth? Will their destruction take the universe with them? Has the Doctor finally interfered too much? How exactly are we spelling Silence/ts?

By the way, you know how DW is taking a mid series break this year? Final episode won't be shown until early October. My brain may explode.

Marie said...

Persephone: no, I totally didn't notice the link to the lodger episode. Sterling work.

Speaking of 'did anybody notice', did anybody notice that the three months after the warehouse escape plus the six months after that when the little girl regenerated equals nine months? What else can happen in nine months? Eh? Eh?

Jane Henry said...

I noticed 3 =6 = 9 too. My family thought I was mad.

Want to say ALOT more, but google keeps chucking me off here...

Jane Henry said...

Hurrah, that worked!

So what I was GOING to say was that:

Matt Smith had me with fishfingers and custard, but am totally in love with his Doctor now. And because he plays him so old, I really believe in his relationship with River. I am so excited that an older woman (she's two years older then me) gets such a great role, well done Mr Moffat, and also gets to snog the Doctor.

I DO think River could be Amy's daughter but if she is, she doesn't know it, and if Amy named her River, she's named her after the River she knows, not realising she's naming her daughter, after her daughter (that made my head hurt).

Stu_N came up with the theory that the little girl is RIVER's and the Doctor's daughter, which might make sense of why River is in prison, & explain her regeneration, but am inclining more to theory that she has picked up the Doc's regenerative powers from shooting him & fact that hands seemed to be male adult makes me think a spoiler I've read could be true...

AM having so much fun speculating

& looking forward to next week's homicidal mermaid, and REALLY looking forward to Neil Gaiman's episode. Neil Gaiman. Dr Who. SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

My head totally hurts, but in a really good way: and this is one of those occasions where reading reviews really helps. Frank Collins, Stuart Ian Burns - both worth reading alongside our 'totally over David Tennant' friend Marie.

(And Jane Henry of course whose ability to SQUEE for Doctor Who is brilliant).

I'm only sorry I haven't had chance to add my own thoughts to this. In defence, my brain does hurt and I'm only able to get on here because a student hasn't urned up and I am easily distracted by thoughts of Doctor Who.

Bookwyrme said...

I've been waiting for your review!

I enjoyed the episode, very much, partly because it took a lot of work following it.

I like Rory. He's got a lot of grit, really.

I didn't find the aliens quite spooky enough. Spooky, yes, but Moffat gave us the Weeping Angels and the Vashta Nerada. The Silence don't quite measure up.

Paintedelfie said...

Am LOVING the New Dr even though I miss DT so much *sigh* .... My thoughts and speculations are the same as what I've read here though now I know it's not just me thinking them I'm fairly certain Mr M will not write it the way I think !!! He's far too ... devious is a strong word but when it comes to Dr Who that might be what I'll use !

I was never into Dr Who in the 70's / 80's and C.E was my first Dr Who ( I also loved him in The Second Coming ) However I am totally obsessed with these new ones and long may they continue and keep me on the edge of my seat.