Monday, 16 May 2011

Doctor Who: The Doctor's Wife

Apologies: much work to do = short review.

In a word: frustrating. I so badly wanted to love this, and from the looks of all the reviews, you all did love it. The Tardis's soul takes on a human body: what's not to love? And my answer, alas: everything that was not the Tardis taking on a human form.

Which is not to say that I hated it, not at all. But patchwork people, and a talking asteroid, and an Ood, and some running along corridors - although you do need some running along corridors - they are not the Tardis in human form. And every time we were away from the human Tardis, I just wanted to go back to her. Frankly, I would have been delighted with just the Doctor and the Tardis in a room, talking, for an entire episode, but as a wise friend of mine pointed out, that doesn't exactly scream "kids' show". Fair enough. Still, she was magnificent, and we only got her for one episode. I could have done with more. I don't suppose this is anybody's fault, exactly. (I also could have done with this being a David Tennant episode. I just think he would have done it wonderfully. Which is not to say that Matt Smith did it badly. But even so.)

Also, about those Tardis (blue box) scenes. A whole lot of corridors, not a lot of rooms. Not how I'd design a spaceship. And I am beginning to wonder how often Rory can die without it starting to take its toll. Surely it can't just be lazy screenwriting? He dies EVERY WEEK. It had better have some significance, or it is seriously going to dent my "Doctor Who is not rubbish" argument.

8 comments:

an_ordinary_person said...

If you can find time to read it (and I hope you do), this is a lovely Q&A with Neil Gaiman:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2011/may/16/neil-gaiman-doctor-who-doctors-wife

He explains a few things, including why there are no rooms in the TARDIS this episode.

I enjoyed the episode. Also, wondering about the sheer volume of deaths Rory will endure. I think Tennant would have nailed this, shame it wasn't his Dr.

~L~

jaljen said...

Suranne Jones. Yum yum yum. Naught else matters...

Jane Henry said...

I LOVED it. Agree about Rory dying, altho he didn't really did he, it was mind games, but I think there has to be a point to it. I actually found his Hate Amy stuff really chilling & I think that might be significant too, because he has all those years and years of memories waiting for her, which he's compartmentalised and he clearly isn't over hid Doctor jealousy.

I did love the line about the bunkbeds too(-:

Suranne Jones was fab.

But let's face it. Neil Gaiman. Dr Who. It wasn't going to be very hard to please me...

Steerforth said...

It was visually stunning and I enjoyed it, but the plot was a mess and must have left plenty of viewers scratching their heads.

RTD knew that the Dr Who revival would only work if it was aimed at a mainstream audience. Gaiman's episode reminded me of the sci-fi fanboy stories that helped kill the series off during the late 1980s.

Overall, I like what Steven Moffat's done with the series, but hope that he doesn't tamper too much with RTD's successful formula.

Persephone said...

On the Persephone Re-watchability Scale, this works. It's a complicated, rich, and detailed story, and I noticed something different each time I watched it. Let's ignore the fact that I had to watch it more than once to understand, okay? I've been ill...

For instance, on my third viewing, I shuddered when Uncle reached out and examined the Doctor's ear. Because I knew why.

I have to say, I think this is a story that works best with Matt Smith's Doctor. It meshed with the Eleventh's peculiar and particular brand of manic. I can't quite imagine the Tenth saying stuff like: "Come here, you scrumptious beauty! (Not that I wouldn't want to see DT try. Besides, I've seen Suranne Jones and DT humping in Single Father, so I'm good...)

On the down side, by the third viewing, I was picking up the newspaper each time Amy and Rory were running the corridors in the Tardis. Rory's injured (yawn); Rory's old (yaaaawn); Rory's dead (zzzzz) I'm losing count; is this the fifth or the sixth time they've snuffed him? Yes, this proves how much Amy really cares for Rory -- we get it, all right?

Also am I the only one to be getting a bit tired with Rory's and Amy's little conferences about the impending death of the Doctor in each and every episode? Clearly, we need a quick code word like "Bad Wolf". Hey! We could have a contest!!!

"Amy's Choice" remains my favourite of the Eleventh Doctor's stories, but this t'weren't bad and it beat last week's handily.

Anonymous said...

The soap-box tardis was great. But I thought I remembered some of these scenes in old Star Trek -- the ominous over-narrator who is so easily tricked, the ship with plunging doors and endless corridors... And the femme-fatale / tragic heroine in the gauzy ripped dress in love with Kirk who must MUST die.

dairyqueen said...

"Oh my god, they killed Rory!"
"You bas****s!"

MVM said...

And what a waste of Michael Sheen