Tuesday, 4 May 2010

Music Monday on a Tuesday: Live Special

Last night I was getting ready for my string quartet rehearsal, going over that tricky tenor clef bit in the second variation of the Haydn. One of the violinists arrived. Then the other violinist arrived. And then we waited. And waited. And eventually called our viola player, who'd forgotten the gig and answered the phone from the middle of a meeting in the pub he lives above. So no quartet for us.

We decamped to the pub, at which point violinist number 1 (and useful emergency paramedic) got a text from a friend who was heading to a gig in Dalston, and did we want to join her? As it happens Dalston is a short hop from where we rehearse (aka my front room) so we piled in the car (a brilliantly-named Seat Ibiza Chill) and off we went.

The bar - Pangea Project in not so much Dalston, more orthodox Jewish heartland Stamford Hill - was minute and loud and serving vegetarian fake chicken sandwiches. On stage were ELKS, who describe themselves on their MySpace page as Rock / Melodramatic Popular Song / Blues, and who I'd describe as Jon Spencer Blues Explosion with Seasick Steve beards and shouty vocals. I like Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, am beard-neutral, and I don't like shouty vocals, so I was most of the way but not quite there. Had a dance, but felt a bit jealous that the drummer was wearing earplugs.

Sidled over to the bar and picked up a flyer that made my night. I quote in full and without comment, because what comment could possibly be needed?

Until the Bird of the Soul Takes Flight from the Cage of the Body to Consort with the Nightingales of the Everlasting Garden... is the name of the acoustic duo opening tonight and setting the tone for storytelling folk songs. Three Beards follow with banjo and accordion textural sounds, and Belarussian rock and roller Sasha Ilyukevich headlines at 10.30pm with his incomparable brew of punk, folk and blues combining the literate worldliness of Boris Grebenshikov and the emotional depth of Blood On The Tracks-era Bob Dylan.

Drank a tonic water. Admired the haircuts. Went home.

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion:



Here's that Haydn:

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I admire the fact that you managed to stay for a tonic water after reading that leaflet. I'd have run like the wind.

Philip Dodd said...

jon spencer is a f'ing hero of the top notch type. Nice post. Haydn is yer man too. But obviously in a very different way.
Haydn never said "take a whiff of my pant leg baby".
What's yer fave JSBE song? My personal fave is "Full Grown". Mad. Sexy, Funny, all at the same time.
Like an erotic ronnie corbett.
...gone too far again, methinks.
Philip
PS the word check asked me for quism - isn't that rude??? JS would be proud.