Once, when I was nineteen and had had a particularly emotional day (read: had just got dumped), my father told me that life would get much easier as I got older, as I would no longer feel things so deeply but instead become interested in antiques and gardening.
He was half right. I am definitely a lot more interested in antiques and gardening. In fact I spent this morning deadheading my jasmine and marvelling at the fact that it has spent several months doing a perfect impersonation of a large dead twig, but the moment the sun has come out it has leapt to glorious, verdant life. I think the jasmine and me have much in common. I am genuinely excited at the prospect of going to the garden centre on Saturday to replenish my herbs and replace the dead geraniums (geraniums will just die - I refuse to take the blame), and then I am going to get stuck into the weeds, and in fact the only thing I don't love about gardening is filling the watering can. I don't know why. I just hate it. (Oh, and cutting back the ivy, but that's not gardening, it's crowd control.)
There aren't a lot of songs about gardening, as it turns out. Feel free to suggest a few. Here's Crosby, Stills and Nash performing Our House, which does mention flowers and a yard. Just try to resist the singalong at the end. God, they look old. I wonder if they still feel things deeply and how they feel about antiques?
Employee gets laid off due to extreme body odor: ‘I genuinely felt bad for
him. He had only just started the job and hadn’t really had the chance to
show what he could contribute. You could tell he felt embarrassed and
ashamed’
-
To pass the smell test
I felt really identified with this story because I've had to deal with this
issue multiple times in my life. I don't mean with my bo...
2 hours ago

4 comments:
One of my Twitter followers suggested the following - REM's Gardening at Night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl5TdBcAUts
Gardening songs? They tend to be folk songs, don't they?
Whose Garden Was This? Tom Paxton
Empty Garden Elton John
English Country Garden No, not that one. This one is a real weird one by The Darkness.
English Country Garden - Rolf Harris. Yes, that one, but it's a spoof.
And finally, The bloody Gardening Song again, but with Arlo Guthrie taking time out to take a swipe at my fellow Canadians and finishing up with a special verse for gardening-haters.
Sorry, didn't watch the Rolf Harris video to the end where the video-poster reveals his (or her) true agenda...
your fathers definition of adulthood is great - not least as am in 30's and so not there yet. Well, I'm terrible at gardening and not into antiques. Does that make me a teenager?
Post a Comment