Tuesday, 15 September 2009

The Other Woman

I don't like poetry. That's the official line. The vast majority of the time, I find it self-indulgent and boring to read. So why was I reduced to floods of tears by a poem in Kate Clanchy's recent collection 'Newborn'? Poetry, it turns out, is not pointless when it speaks directly to you.

Here is the poem in question.

The Other Woman

I am running to meet her,
now, the girl who lives on her own,
who has in her hand the key to her own
hallway, her own bare polished stair, who
is clacking down it now, in kitten heals, swearing,
who is marching over envelopes marked with a single name,
who is late, can be late, sleep late, forgets things,
who tonight has forgotten hat, gloves and
umbrella, who is running not caring
through luminous rain.
What shall we say?

Shall I slip off
my coat and order cold wine
and watch myself sip it through
the long row of optics, arching my back
on the velvet banquette? And pick up the wit,
the moue of the mouth as we pass jokes like olives?
And say the right thing and stand up for my round,
tapping the bar with a rolled-up twenty,
tipsy, self-conscious, a girl,
a vessel of secrets, so
carefully held in?

Or down just one glass
and see stars and the whole
room go smeary, have nothing to say
and say all the same - You don't understand.
What happens is someone slips from your side, someone
full-sized.
Will she yawn, get her bag, start tucking
her fags in when I get out his photo,
say Look, look how he's grown,
all by himself, he has grown
to the size of my life?



Oh god, I just started crying again just copying that out.

This poem is so unbearably cruel. It is written from the point of view of the mother, but I am not a mother, and so that is not how I read it. I am 'The Other Woman' of the title. Running late to meet my married friend, my friend the mother, whose rich internal life is so beautifully chronicled in the rest of Clanchy's book. I don't have a rich internal life. I just have kitten heels and my own front door. I may look luminous but I am an object of pity. In another poem, Clanchy talks of a friend who is single: "I thought / of her last eggs / the womb staying empty, folded / like an evening purse". What is wit and wine against an empty, folded womb? And then the cruelest blow of all: I don't understand. When my friend shows me her baby photos, she is afraid I might yawn. She has moved on to another place, a place of total fulfillment - "he has grown / to the size of my life." My pleasures are as transient and meaningless as olives. In order to maintain our friendship, she must lie to me, "say the right thing", be " a girl, / a vessel of secrets, so / carefully held in." She is afraid that if she shows her true self, her friend will get her bag and leave, but she does not allow for her friend's empathy. You don't understand. Her friend is The Other Woman. Sexy. Selfish. A threat.

"You don't understand" says Clanchy, but I do understand. On the contrary, it is you who does not understand me. I am not bored of your baby. What breaks my heart is to see my friend sitting opposite me thinking that we have nothing in common - "what shall we say?" She thinks she knows me because she used to be me, but it is her own ambivalence about her lost self she sees reflected back at her. She has moved on, but the one thing she can never know is how it feels to be left behind. The mother in the poem, finding her friend wanting, has one drink and goes home to her baby. But the Other Woman, as with all Other Women, is glamorous but lonely. The mother has moved on to something, has grown a person to be her life. But the Other Woman has no life. Or no life that her friend can see.

The Other Woman a brilliant poem describing the divide which appears between single women and their friends with babies. What I would like to know is whether Clanchy believes that the divide is real or illusory. Fortunately I will have the chance to find out, because alongside historian Helen Rappaport, Kate Clanchy will be my guest at the Firestation Bookswap in Windsor this Thursday. Do join us.

10 comments:

Persephone said...

It takes a strong friendship indeed to survive the bridges across the chasms: the gap between the virgin and non-virgin, the married and the unmarried, and the childful and the childfree. One friend greeted the news of my first pregnancy with "But you said you'd never have kids!" as if I'd broken some kind of pledge. (For the record, I'd never said any such thing.)

There are other chasms too. My mother found herself unceremoniously dropped by several gal pals when my father dropped her. Widows often discover the same thing. And every day I look across the valley that has grown between me and my fellow-mothers who don't have special needs children. There are women who will happily only discuss my elder daughter with me. Some of them are in my own family. The last line sounds like my daily pleas about my younger daughter.

Some women return to their unempty homes, and feel every bit as lonely as the woman in the kitten heels.

Scott Pack said...

You also have a nice hallway.

That is not a euphemism.

shrink on the couch said...

I don't read many poems, either, for similar reasons mentioned, but I very much appreciate it when a meaningful one is put in front of me. So thanks for posting this one.

This poem and your interpretations resonate for me. I became a mom in the midst of many close friends who were childless, either by choice or lack of partner, or unknown.

I used to fear my friends would find me boring, cliche, a mom who can think of nothing else but the baby. I suppose I saw myself that way. So I struggled to refrain from the all consuming baby talk.

And my nights out with girlfriends? I wanted to embrace the life sans baby. Still do. Freedom. Novelty. Seeing all the interesting people out and about.

My kids are tween-ish years now and I still feel the same. I look forward to conversations that don't center around kids. I love hearing my single friends chatter on about their love lives (or lack thereof). I am often bored by parents who prattle on endlessly about their kids. I live it, I don't want to go out and listen to it there, too.

So for me, the poem represents the struggle to suppress, for an evening, lapsing into conversation about my real life, the one that is weighted down by parenting, and yes, fulfilled and beguiled by my kids.

At the same time, I absolutely see your perspective. And this is where poetry is fascinating. The different perspectives. You read the body of her work so I take it that your reading holds more of a sense of the author's intent.

Marie said...

phd in yogurtry, I actually think your interpretation is correct. My sister (mother of 2) felt the same way. And the first verse (stanza? My English teacher always made me say stanza, but I still don't know the difference) is suffused with envy.

I don't think that my version is an accurate reading of the poem, it's just that it's how it makes me feel.

I'm starting to remember one of the reasons I don't like poetry (no fault of Ms Clancy.) It's a riddle and I end up getting the answer wrong and feeling stupid. I don't like feeling stupid.

Claire said...

Sorry not got time to actually analyse what I think of the poem properly, but to move away from the poem, and address how it makes you feel - like phd says above, if you have a friend with kids who comes out and doesn't talk about the kids, don't assume it's because she doesn't think you are interested....maybe it's because SHE DOESN'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT THE KIDS.
From my point of view babies are great, but talking about them is a little dull. Especially nappies, feeding, sleep routines, etc, etc, get enough of that at the local baby group, thanks! If I go out for an evening, I am happy to talk about babies if a friend really wants to, but equally talking about something else is nice. If someone (childfree or not) didn't ask how he was at least though I would be a bit offended.

Sorry that was a very practical response and doesn't really talk about the poem itself at all (which I think is very good by the way)

Jane Henry said...

Marie, a) you are so not stupid, and b) I'm entirely with phd. I love having single friends because not only do they reconnect me with the self I often feel gets subsumed into other people's needs, but they bring a much needed difference and vitality into my life. Not everyone necessarliy wants babies, but it doesn't mean those that do can't be mates with those that don't. Though having them can make socialising a bit trickier. Was stunned when I announced my first pregnancy at work and a colleague (who was married but hates babies) said, Great another part timer in the office. I utterly respected her wish not to have children, but she didn't respect mine to be a mother at all.
I have several very good friends and two sisters who are single and I relish our (rare admittedly!) nights out so I can talk about things other then family matters. Don't feel sorry for them at all, because they have found fulfilment in their lives in different ways.
And I'd never ever dream of having a dinner party and not inviting friends because they are single. We frequently have odd numbered dinner parties because we invite people we like to dinner, not people in couples, or people with children.
Was just saying to a couple of school run chums that the majority of people you meet on the school run aren't soul mates anyway (luckily I have found a few) - we are forced together because we have children, doesn't mean we bond.
Persephone, as ever am staggered at people's cruelty. Can't stand that kind of behaviour.

Fascinating poem, Marie. I think your interpretation is a good one. The mum seems the selfish one to me. I love my children but I have never felt that all consuming passion which forces out everything else. I'd find it boring and also potentially dangerous, as one day your children grow up and leave you and then what do you do?

Unknown said...

Hello,
It's funny to have you all discussing my poem. I wrote it eight years ago, but as far as I remember, I thought I was writing about the intense regret I felt for my single life. In my mind, both women in the poem are me, and they both have 'rich internal lives'.I certainly didn't intend to judge one as better, or less more selfish in any way than the other - though you are not the first to read it that way. But there is a division, and a loss there for me, and I did want the poem to be about that. I also thought the poem was funny, when I was writing it. Clearly, wrong again. Marie - a poem isn't a riddle, because riddles have only one right answer. A good poem should be ambiguous, alive , and containing multitudes. Thank you for finding multitudes in mine.
See you tomorrow.
Kate Clanchy

Marie said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, Kate, and for engaging with my tearful response to your poem. Really looking forward to discussing it, poetry in general, and all kinds of other things, with you tomorrow.

elegancemaison said...

How strange the comments are to me. And so glad that Kate Clancy answered. Both views were me too. I was a career mum when all around me were single women and many men who were married with kids. To hold my job and be seen as 'serious' I had to play down my motherhood. I felt guilt about that. Still do, as I watch my lovely daughter struggling to hold a career and adored child and marriage (to a beloved and loving husband) together in a time when two incomes are necessary to make a happy home.

Maxine said...

It's sad that you say you don't ordinarily like poetry. Yes, at it's worst, it can seem like slef-indulgent angst, but if you find it that way, you are reading only the worst kind of poetry. Congrats on a thoughtful blog.