Wednesday, 21 January 2009

Yes He Did

Yesterday I put aside my natural kneejerk cynicism for long enough to watch Barack Obama's inauguration and allow myself to be filled with the kind of hope which is - yes - audacious. It's beyond one man, even a man as powerful as the President of the United States, to be able to heal all the complex problems of global politics and economics, but equally such problems will never begin to be addressed without great leadership and it seems that great leadership might be what we are finally getting. At the very least he has managed the first part: making people want him to lead them. Not grudgingly allow him to lead them, but actively, desperately, hopefully want.

After the ceremony - the speech (appropriately sober and inspiring though not as gloriously moving as his acceptance speech), the godawful poet who came after him, and the brilliant civil rights activist who spoke after that - the lunch (I blame freezing cold and then overcharged central heating for the senatorial bodycount) and the incredibly dull parade, we watched Aretha and her hat sing again on YouTube:



Then at a friend's suggestion, the equally incredible Nina Simone singing a very appropriate choice of song some years before:



And then a brilliant excerpt of a speech by James Baldwin some time before that:



Which kept us all in contemplative mood.

Contemplative and uncynical as I was, I still couldn't help a few stray thoughts from crossing my mind. Like relief that Michelle Obama had chosen a decent outfit this time, and a mental note that Barack Obama's coat was rather gorgeous, and also the briefest hint of suspicion that he might be wearing a thermal vest or two. His shirt did look a bit padded. Also, that the chap who did the prayer at the start of the inaugural lunch sounded a lot like Darth Vader.

Afterwards, we all had dinner and the Obamas headed off to TEN balls. They had to pose for pictures and do a first dance for each one, like getting married over and over again, and indeed Michelle had changed into something not unlike a wedding dress by then. I hope she was wearing comfortable shoes. Barack can almost dance, although he moves his hands in a funny way when getting down, which is a relief. The President should not be *too* groovy. But they look so sweet together that I am in danger of developing a serious couple crush on them. So happy! So in love! I bet she is not averse to telling him off when necessary either. She should get her own nuclear codes (which is not what I always say when I have a couple crush.)

You can see extracts from the ten balls over here. You'll notice that Etta James's At Last is played more than once, and it is indeed a very good choice of song for the occasion. But I'm sure you people can choose better. What's the best possible song to dance to for your first shimmy as First Couple? And the worst?

17 comments:

mattcollinssongs said...

Well yeah, but how's he going to heal the blind and cure the sick if he can't properly repeat sentences? Honestly, you'd have thought he'd have a run through of the really historic bit i.e. the swearing in, with Michelle the night before?

I think the insane preacher who preceded him was quite something. Everything he said just had to be ironic.

No? What, really? Oh.

Anonymous said...

Jay Z - 99 problems (but the b*tch ain't one)

Jane Henry said...

Have to say I felt the same way. I am a natural cynic who has been charmed. I too think we might finally have a great leader. I hope I'm right, cos we could sure do with one. I only got to hear bits of the inauguration speech as I was doing the Brownie run, and having to contend with a conversation about Roman gods at the time, but was impressed.

Hmm. First dance, I'll have to think about that one!

Jane Henry said...

PS I was a bit staggered by his cocking up the oath, but then I thought it was rather sweet too. Following Marie's wedding theme, it was a bit of a nervous bridgeroom moment don't you think?

Anonymous said...

Apparently Obama told Katie Couric he gets cold easily and would be wearing long johns for the inauguration.

And I'd love to have seen them do their first dance to this.

Marie said...

Oh I've got one: 'Push The Button'.

John Soanes said...

Most appropriate? Um, dunno, maybe 'Michelle'? The dual-lingo nature would suggest a more international mindset, as well as saying nice things about The First Lady.

Least appropriate would probably be 'Who killed the President?' by Soho (of brief 'Hippy Chick' fame). Partly because it's a tad on the obscure side, but mainly... ah, yes, you spotted it.

J

Jane Henry said...

On the push the button theme, Marie, I think I'd rather they DIDN'T dance to Enola Gay...

Not desperately inspiring, but how about the Power of Love?

Jane Henry said...

They probably oughtn't to dance to Two Tribes either. Gosh. I seem to be having a seriously bad 80s moment. Take my Breath Away from Top Gun has also just popped into my head...

Marie said...

Ra Ra Rasputin.

Persephone said...

I vote for Catherine's. It's perfect. I was trying to think of a song about power, but that one nails it.

Anonymous said...

in one online newspaper in Germany stood, that Michelles`s dress at the inauguration was from a designer from Cuba!!!
Not bad. First thing Barack did - closed Guantanamo on Cuba.
Coincidence?

Billy said...

I was going to suggest Rasputin. Really.

lilalia said...

Of all the post I have read about The Day, I find yours the most delightful and eclectic. Thank you, Marie, you do manage to entertain so effortlessly after all these years. The James Baldwin video is a master stroke.

Karen Cinnamon said...

Thanks for posting those videos. I absolutely adored Nina Simone's performance - utterly brathtaking/

Anonymous said...

You're right to detect padding underneath his shirt - though apparently it wasn't thermals, but a bulletproof vest. Actually a "bullet-resistant" vest, to use the correct term. They don't necessarily actually STOP the bullet, you see. Which I wouldn't find very reassuring. Still, keeps you warm.

Marie said...

I wonder if bullet resistant vests come in thermal options? Or indeed if thermal vests come in bullet resistant objects?