No comments for the books, eh? You lot are an unpredictable bunch.
OK, and not just to get comments, because I am not a comments whore, comments whore I am not, but a question for the ladies: after a war of attrition between myself and my hairdresser lasting several years, I have recently surrendered to using a proper expensive salon shampoo, and I am irritated to reveal that it IS much better and you DO only have to use about a third of the amount so it DOESN'T work out as that much more expensive than the cheap stuff. Thus I am now wondering if I should break out of my habit of using incredibly cheap moisturiser on the basis that even if the expensive ones have whale placentas in them, in the end all you really need is goo + sunscreen. Am I right? Am I wrong? Would you recommend your moisturiser to me? My requirements: I insist on factor 15 in my daycream. I don't tend to bother with any makeup on my actual skin*, so if it could leave my face looking nicer than before I put it on, so much the better. And if it could make me look slightly less like I am getting older every day, and slightly more like I am getting younger, that would make me a very happy bunny. Surely not too much to ask from a small pot of unguent?
*as opposed to mascara, lippy etc.
Employee gets laid off due to extreme body odor: ‘I genuinely felt bad for
him. He had only just started the job and hadn’t really had the chance to
show what he could contribute. You could tell he felt embarrassed and
ashamed’
-
To pass the smell test
I felt really identified with this story because I've had to deal with this
issue multiple times in my life. I don't mean with my bo...
2 hours ago

20 comments:
I use Boot No 7 'Protect and Perfect' day cream. It's SPF 15 and I'm hoping it's got the magic sun damaged-fixing ingredients that are in the Protect and Perfect serum. That said it's probably just the bog standard Boots cold cream with a name change to cash in on the popularity of the serum(cynical? moi?)
Does it make me younger day by day? What are you after? Miracles? (she says, knowing she'll come back to this post to see if anyone HAS posted about a magic wonder cream)
If miracles are available, yeah baby I want them. I mean, I don't want to miss out on miracles just because I didn't ask.
Question: does your face cream make you yellow? Because...
Sorbolene cream and sun screen smeared all over the top, all you’ll ever need.
I have quite oily skin, but a regular scrub with The Body Shop Seaweed Pore-Cleansing Facial Exfoliator and Olay Total Effects First Effects Daily Moisturiser does it for me, no need for expensive products I'd say...
Ben Goldacre devotes a chapter in his book to cosmetics and moisturisers; to vaguely paraphrase, expensive creams are bollocks and - as you say - all you need is goo + sunscreen. All the claims made for vitamins and molecular gubbins are only really true in petri dishes in a lab, they don't work the same when scaled up to human skin. So stick with whatever you're using at the moment and hope you have good genes :-)
I was quite keen on the Olay Tinted Moisturiser until the school run started again after Christmas and about five different people asked, "Have you been away on holiday?"
Perhaps the tinting was a bit TOO good.
Otherwise, I'm with Calistro on the Protect and Perfect stuff. The serum is good!
I am the worst person to ask as I never can remember to do a beauty routine, but my ma in law swears by nivea and she really does have young looking skin which is pretty amazing for 84. But she might just be lucky with the genes. I am big fat cynic about all this stuff, but now I am daily facing the mirror and the reality of needing to look younger becomes more visible by the minute I'm hanging out there for a miracle too! And I suspect my need is greater...
Unlike friends who swear by such actions, I have NEVER had a routine for skin care. Miscellaneous shower gel, soap or body scrub but nothing specific for facial skin and certainly no moisturising routine.
I will stretch to factor 15-40 sun cream when in warmer climates and that pretty much is it.
Like housework I figure life's too short for a skincare routine.
I think I may regret the latter more than the former as I age
Lisa (aged 42 and 1/3)
Everyone has already correctly confirmed your suspicions about moisturiser, but I have a comment to add on the issue of the shampoo. Even the expensive ones have water (or "aqua"!) as one of their primary ingredients, and a nasty thing called sodium lauryl sulphate as a foaming agent to make it look less like it's just expensive water. The only one that doesn't is by Green People, and it is brilliant. A bottle lasts me a year. www.greenpeople.co.uk.
Also, don't use antibacterial toothpaste. (ones with names like Total or Plus). They give you mouth ulcers and are a marketing con. What's wrong with having bacteria in your mouth for goodness sake?
Well, I'll get on the commenting band wagon.
I like anything that is "natural" or has that word in the label. Especially the stuff with vitamin C. Everything else makes me itch...
...but then I am probably at the young end here(26 3/4), and still have bad acne, and people keep asking if I am out of school yet...so take what you will from my comment.
Hi Marie and all!
I have a video for you - hope it will work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wGHSQrlw-U&eurl=http://www.facebook.com/home.php?&feature=player_embedded
enjoy it...
Didn`t you just say you are gorgeous and smart? Don`t get younger - just stay as you are. I do this since years. And I hate my scale... My mum bought me a new one for my last birthday. I hate all 3. My two scales and my mother for buying me a new one that is not working like the old one. Both show the wrong weight - it can`t be. Is there a cream to solve this problem???
Jürgen
Oil of Olay every time. Although it still doesn't sound right calling it Olay not Ulay.
Jurgen: the only way to solve that problem is to stop *eating* cream.
I'm an Oil of Olay girl, despite the fact that my mother has boycotted Proctor and Gamble for years, due to animal testing. I stick to the basic day lotion (with sunscreen) and night cream because Oil of Olay grossly overpackages their other stuff, making it really difficult to recycle the containers. SPF 50 and up for the summer; I inherited Scottish skin from my father's side.
Pure jojoba oil - one or two drops mixed with whatever moisturiser takes your fancy. I love the stuff! There's a bit of info on it here: http://www.soaperschoice.com/soapoils/jojoba.html
It's an evil trick of the light rather than really rejuvenating, but this Sisley stuff called 'Eclat Tenseur' is fricking magic.
Daywear (Estée Lauder)is a good moisturiser with SPF, but most often I forget about it altogether and just have Clarins factor 40 face sun screen ('UV Plus Day Screen) in handbag for when I remember. It has stuff in. Antioxidants and whatnot.
Oh, I look about twice my age, btw, so I am no advert for anything.
The best bit of advice on skincare I ever got was - whatever you put on your face, put on your neck.
I think all moisturisers work, but the posher ones tend to be finer in consistency and are absorbed better (I'm a Clarins & No 7 P&P addict).
clinique superdefence (spf 25) or avene - I think worth the money. I got IDed for buying fags a few months ago :p
A great place for natural Oils, including Jojoba Oil is www.cibariasoapsupply.com
they sell all kinds of oils in their purest forms.
Post a Comment