Is there any other film as spectacularly bad as Showgirls? I accept that there might be worse films: worse made, more boring, though probably not as badly acted. But I mean ridiculously, gloriously, over-the-top spectacularly bad. Watching it for the second time last night, at least ten years since I first saw it, I lost count of the amount of times I said to myself "I can't believe I forgot about the bit where they do the lesbian biker chick sex slave dance / the chimpanzees escape and run riot through the dressing room / her virtuous best friend is gang-raped by a long-haired, hairy-chested singing star and his rent-a-goons, intercut with dancing from the floor below". This is a film where people can say lines like "It must be weird not having people come on you", "I'm erect, why aren't you erect?", "I like breasts" and (in mournful, sincere tones) "I have a problem with pussy" with a straight face. And then of course there is the infamous swimming pool sex scene, which actually is just a pale imitation of the earlier lap dancing scene, which takes place at Cheetah's, the strip club run by the man in the skinny leopard print shirt who shouts BLOW JOB a lot but turns out to be all heart. And then there is the dancing. It's supposed to be the most incredible dancing in the world and is actually like some kind of porn-star version of Xanadu, all glitter and wigs and girl-on-girl dry-humping. And if you feel in need of some full-frontal nudity, search no more. You have never since so many lady bits in your life. And one male bottom, courtesy of Kyle MacLachlan's none-too-convincing super-toned body double. All wrapped up with some breathtakingly phony message about female empowerment and the perils of being seduced into corruption. It's not just worth watching as a bad movie though. I genuinely believe Showgirls to be a unique cultural artefact that people will one day hold up as the last gasp of pre-9/11 degeneracy, before we started making films about climate change and mysterious threats that mysteriously symbolise those mysterious Muslim terrorists.
It's also a perfect moment of hubris, as Joe Eszterhas and Paul Verhoeven's egos explode like fireworks on screen and then the sparks fizzle out into the darkness. If you have never read Eszterhas's autobiography 'Hollywood Animal' you have a sorry gap in your knowledge of self-deluded arrogant arseholes. Like Showgirls, which Eszterhas wrote, it is unbelievably entertaining for any number of unintentional reasons. Eszterhas firmly believes himself to be a genius, and the evidence of said genius is all the incredible movies that he was penned: movies like Flashdance and Basic Instinct. Showgirls, a deeply moral and Christian film in his opinion, only failed because he didn't get the cast he originally wanted: Madonna and Drew Barrymore (watch it with *that* in mind.) And I suppose that Showgirls actually doesn't seem that over the top to a man whose business mail has been known to be delivered on notes folded up and inserted into a prostitute's vagina.
One day, somebody will make a movie of Joe Eszterhas's life and it will be the most absurd, mesmerising, mind-boggling film ever made. But until they do, there is always Showgirls.

10 comments:
I think Paul Verhoeven has less of an ego than you credit him for. He was the very first winner of a Golden Raspberry to turn up and accept his award in person, which you have to give him a certain degree of kudos for.
Plus any director, when his stars are complaining about having to do nude shower scenes, who then takes off all his own clothes in front of the entire crew to make the point that it's not as difficult as they claim surely deserves even more kudos.
I don't know, that sounds like a certain kind of big ego to me. When Paul Verhoeven is filmed and broadcast to millions pole dancing and masturbating in the nude, then we'll talk.
Give him time. He's back in the Netherlands right now. If they ever do Celebrity Big Brother there, I reckon that would be the highlight of Day One. He'd come up with something imaginative for Day Two, I'm sure.
Suddenly I want to read Paul Verhoeven's autobiography.
He's a very interesting guy for all kinds of reasons. He's a lot like David Cronenberg in that the more you listen to him in interviews, the more you realise he has an alien way of thinking. Whenever someone asks him about some of his film-making excesses, it's always "I don't understand. This is perfectly normal in Europe. Why do you have a problem with it?"
Why'd you have such extreme violence in your movies, Paul, with people being melted in toxic waste, stabbed, decapitated, etc? "Well, I grew up in the Netherlands during the Second World War and there was death all around me. It is perfectly normal to me."
I genuinely believe Verhoeven actually thinks all the excesses of Showgirls are just perfectly normal, we're all massively repressed and it's all a bit of fun.
I caught a bit of this last night, and was mesmerised... until the ad break came, and I was free again. Thank five for commercials.
Anyway, it's horribly bad in so many ways - the dialogue, the acting, the implied sense of it all being *SO* sexy when it has all the erotic frisson of a Maestro transaction, and - for me the killer - the sheer risibility of the dance sequences; I think we're supposed to go 'wow' when they're on, but I just find them hysterically funny (ditto Flashdance), for all the wrong reasons. And to think Kyle MacLachlan has starred in a few of my favourite things. Tsk.
MRob, didn't Verhoeven do a film recently called 'The Black Book' or similar, set in WW2? I seem to recall seeing posters for it, though not any reviews...
J
Zwartboek. He's done a lot of Second World War movies over the years. Zwartboek's more like his pre-Hollywood Dutch output, which was relatively tasteful and forward thinking (cf Soldaat van Oranje, Spetters, De Vierde Man), but not as good. Still good. Just not as good.
I can't think how we missed Showgirls, there having been a time when Robocop was my husband's favourite film. On the other hand, maybe he sneakily watched it while I was out (on a probablity scale about 99.9% likely I think.) I feel I have missed out... And that Dutch I saw it all in the war response does sound about right...
I feel the need to share that I have seen a US *NETWORK TELEVISION* version of Showgirls. Yes, that's right, they cut it to a 14 certificate. Now, if you think that this movie is bad, imagine it without any of the awful sex, nudity or swearing. It's just a shame they couldn't edit out Kyle McLachlan's acting...
Or indeed his fringe. Must have been a very short film...
Post a Comment