I am about to start a second draft of my new novel. This means absolutely nothing. It doesn't mean that I have finished the first draft - far from it. It doesn't mean I will ever finish the second draft. It doesn't mean that I won't start the second draft and in three days time decide that actually I liked the first draft better and go back to it. It doesn't even mean that I won't chuck the entire novel out and start writing an opera based on the Muppet Show sketch Pigs in Space. I am not a particularly predictable writer. (I am, however, slightly obsessed with Pigs in Space.)
What it does mean is that I am going to have to do more planning, and in order to do said planning I am going to have to buy stationery. Stationery! I love stationery. This is a love that goes back as far as I remember. When I was little, people were always buying me stationery, and when they weren't buying it for me I was saving up my pocket money to buy it for myself. There was a fantastic stationery shop at the corner near where I lived which had paper of all different colours, in that heavy texture that assured me that it was important, grown-up paper as written on by important grown-ups. You could buy it by the sheet. And I had boxes and boxes of writing paper, much of which I can still remember in vivid detail: the little blue and white hinged box with the blue paper in, tied with a ribbon; the large flat white box with the paper that had a spray of purple flowers along one edge; the scalloped Snoopy paper, lined and bordered in red. It wasn't just writing paper that fuelled my obsession; there was nothing in the world more exciting than the weeks leading up to the beginning of the Autumn term, or La Rentree as the equally-stationery-obsessed French call it, a week in which I could legitimately claim the need for a new satchel, a pencil case - pencil cases in my youth were judged on how many doors they had, and you could easily get a dozen doors on one squishy pink pencil case, if it opened on both sides and had a spinning pencil compartment and a rubber compartment (by which I mean eraser, US readers - I was only 8) and a place to put your sharpener - a maths set, a four-colour biro, a smelly rubber (see earlier note) and a stylish French agenda, one of those exercise books with lots of different sections for different days of the week, marked with different paper styles and different colours, with perforations to pull the tabs off once you'd done that day's homework. French paper was always better than English paper because the rulings were more complex. Just the lines on the page were achingly beautiful to my young eye.
Stationery stationery stationery stationery stationery! Just the thought of buying it today gives me that old thrill. It's the nudeness of it, the clean empty pages, just waiting to be filled. This must be how men feel when presented with a new virgin. Of course, I don't recall actually writing on any of it ever, and I think when we moved house when I was eleven, I threw it all away. That doesn't necessarily bode well for the second draft, does it?
Employee gets laid off due to extreme body odor: ‘I genuinely felt bad for
him. He had only just started the job and hadn’t really had the chance to
show what he could contribute. You could tell he felt embarrassed and
ashamed’
-
To pass the smell test
I felt really identified with this story because I've had to deal with this
issue multiple times in my life. I don't mean with my bo...
2 hours ago

20 comments:
Ah, the joys of La Rentree, and the pleadings with my maman for that pink platic pencil case with compartments that popped out when you pressed buttons... You've taken me right back.
Did you ever have one of those huge pens with 10 different colours, each with a different smell? they were the *BEST*.
One word: Presunic
Bro
That was great! I laughed :-)
Virgin sheets of paper LoL!
We creative people have to have butterfly minds, otherwise we wouldn't be creative.
Thanks, I'll be back to enjoy your electronic sheets some more :-)
oh cripes, sorry to be pedantic but 'stationery' surely?
Lovely Cloud cannot walk past a pen shop without going in for a look - and usually coming out with yet another writing implement. Notebooks of all sorts are also a 'must buy'. There must be at least 20 various (mostly as yet unused) notebooks/pads/sketchbooks in our house: leather bound, artist's paper, lined, A4, mini-sized...
Pads, paper, pens. Stationery of all kinds, and its storage: it's like pR0n to us. Rather like book storage...
Did you throw out the scalloped Snoopy stationery? I covet that...
And what does "Presunic" mean? Is it Portuguese?
4 colour biros! Those were the acme of stationery cool as far as I was concerned. Take 4 biros into my geography lesson? Not me! I just click and go...
Colette: YES! I had forgotten. PS why aren't you terryhenry any more? Is it because he has left Arsena?
Bro: Prisunic, surely?
Persephone: It is a French shop, a bit like Monoprix. Also, the Snoopy paper is the only one I can remember using. It had matching envelopes, with Woodstock on them.
Pedro: I believe it is a UK / US spelling issue. Though I'm actually not sure which is which.
Prisunic, you are quite right.
Bro.
Marie, will you accept The Concise Oxford as arbitrator? Mine tells me that "stationary" means "motionless" and "stationery" includes "articles sold by a stationer".
Actually, that's how I help myself remember because I wouldn't buy notepaper from a "stationar"...
I also always have to remind myself that "definite" contains "finite", and that there is "a rat" in "separate". I can never remember how to spell "silhouette". (Did I manage this time?)
Hello Marie, I just visited your blog "by chance"and I liked it very much. I am french, I live in Paris, but I think I must have been "something english" in a previous life, a stone or a plastic bag, or queen Victoria because I sometimes feel more english than french...I am also writting ( among other things ) and just started blogging... Can I find your novel in a french edition???? Thanks and good luck for the second one. ( can you speak french ???) Françoize Boucher
Oops! Spelling duly corrected. Thanks for that.
Bonjour Francoize! Bienvenue a bord. Oui je parle Francais (avec des fautes)... Mon livre est sorti en France avec le titre Les Dieux Ne Valent Pas Mieux!, editions Heloise D'Ormaisson. And welcome to blogging, I will come and check out your place!
Well, personally speaking, I don't ever remember writing anything on a new virgin...but the there are lots of things I don't remember...
To gently lift the lid off a box of silky soft brilliant white A4 wove; to have a touch of static cleave the top page ever so perfectly to its underside; honestly, it's miles better than sex.
It really isn't.
But the best notebooks were those thick ones with the hard, shiny covers and the rounded corners. And la rentree was bliss: new cartable, new flash pencil case, new fountain pen. I wish I still had a fountain pen, it's really the only thing to write with. And that stationery shop: all those colours, and different sized envelopes, and paid for by the weight. And do you remember that mini-stationery set I had, complete with mini post-box. I would write you a mini letter, stick the post box to your door with blue-tack, raise the little flag and wait for you to read it. Yup, looks like we shared the same obsession.
There's a fantastic stationery shop in Bruges (it's stationary as well) which had retractable nib fountain pens when I was in there just before Christmas.
Retractable nib fountain pens.
I had to be physically restrained.
(They were about €300)
I have a more than minor obsession with Moleskine notebooks, which are easily found in many bookshops, and have ever-so-slightly off-white paper, which makes the blank page look slightly less shiny. And an elastic closure band-thing to hold them shut. Fab, and a Lamy safari fountain pen, or a Pilot gel pen, works just right with the Mole, as I like to call it.
I do wonder if there's some simple correlation that can be made between lovers of the written word and reading and lovers of stationery...
J
Rebecca, I think you are referring to the Clairefontaine notebooks. Sigh! They were indeed the best. And I had forgotten the mini postbox!
I miss fountain pens too. I still have my Schaeffer pen from school but I don't think they make the cartridges any more. You can still see the teethmarks where I chewed it, but the place where I scratched my name on with the tip of my compass has worn down to near (though not total) invisibility.
Buying stationary is one of life's great pleasures, it's true.
Post a Comment