Tuesday, 25 March 2008

The People vs GPS


What is the real purpose of GPS?

I ask because I only have a couple of friends who had GPS devices and they seem to have a complex relationship with them. I have always thought that if I had a GPS it would serve my purposes as follows: I am driving. The GPS gives me directions. The end.

It doesn't quite seem to work out this way. A friend of mine with GPS built into her car seems to be in constant dispute about the GPS's advice. So every time I go anywhere with her we end up in the following situation:

GPS: In four hundred metres, turn left.
My friend: Oh god, it wants me to go round the M25 again. No. I am not going around the M25. I'm going to take the North Circular.
GPS: Turn left.
Friend turns right.
GPS: Do a U-turn.
Friends: No! No, I am not doing a U-turn. I am taking the North Circular.
GPS: Do a U-turn.
Friend: No! Shut up!
GPS: Do a U turn.
Friend: Why does it always want me to take the M25?
GPS sullenly displays a big cross.
GPS (suddenly, unexpectedly): In eight hundred metres, take the second exit from the roundabout.
Friend: Finally! Finally it figures out what I want to do! At last!
GPS: In three hundred metres, turn left.
Friend: No! No, I don't want that exit! I'm going to ignore it.
GPS: Do a U-turn.

And so on. In other words, when my friend's husband is not in the car, the GPS exists not to give my friend directions, but to provide her with someone to argue about directions with.

On the way back from our booze cruise to France this weekend, another friend decided to switch his GPS off for half an hour to help preserve the batteries. After a while, though, we decided we weren't entirely sure where we were going so we switched the GPS back on.

GPS: At the next roundabout, take the fourth exit.
Friend: Oh, that's making us go back on ourselves. We must have missed our exit. Thank goodness we switched the GPS back on.
[Forty five minutes later....]
GPS: At the next roundabout, take the fourth exit.
Friend: Uh - hang on - that's making us go back on ourselves *again*.

Yes, out of revenge for us having switched it off, the GPS made us drive the same stretch of the M20 three times. In this case, the GPS appears to have taken the persona of a petty, vindictive boss.

Do all GPS's have their own unique personalities? Or is there a limited set that you can choose from when you turn them on? Do other people's GPS's sit on the dashboard muttering "OK, Mr Clever Clogs, you turn left if you want to" and then, one lost hour later, "I told you so"? Or maybe, when you have just turned right under its instruction, say "Oops, I meant *left*, silly me, I always get those two mixed up"? Can you get a GPS that spends the entire journey singing to itself and then, when you have accidentally ended up in Aberdeen, says "Oh I'm sorry, was I supposed to be looking where we were going"? (Or is that a radio?)

I think I'll go for a GPS personality that knows exactly where everything is, doesn't make dodgy direction decisions for me, doesn't talk to me in an irritating schoolmarmish voice, and never runs out of batteries at the exact critical moment that I am getting lost. Or to put it another way, a map.

5 comments:

Persephone said...

With your luck, you'd end up with something out of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:

GPS: Do a U-turn.
Marie: Not today, sunshine!
GPS: Do a U-turn.
Marie: I think I'd be better off with a map. The car's stopping... Why is the car stopping?
GPS: I'm waiting for an apology. I can wait all day if necessary...
Marie: GPS, if you don't return control of this car to me immediately, I'll rip you off the dashboard and fling you into oncoming traffic, got it?
GPS: I can see this relationship is something we going to have to work on.
Marie: Thank you...
GPS: It'll all end in tears, I know it...
(Posthumous apologies to Douglas Adams.)

Jane Henry said...

I tried to post this before but I think our GPS who is VERY temperamental and called Ingrid, put a hex on me.

Ingrid was probably a dalek in her former life as she has a tendency to say Does not compute!Does not compute! in a rather stressed way when we ignore her advice to drive to Leatherhead and pick up the M25 and go down the A3 instead. She also ALWAYS wants us to go right out of our house instead of left whereever we happen to be going.

I hate her. But then as Chief Navigator of the House I resent being usurped by a tin machine who sounds like a dalek on acid.

On the other hand she was rather better at getting us round the periphique in a thunderstorm then I was last year, so sadly, I think she's here to stay...

Anonymous said...

Your post was a real giggle Marie.
I can just imagine your situation.
My GPS is a tad lippy when I decide to dispute her directions, however I must say she does have the humility to announce she is "Recalculating"when I insist upon sticking to my own route; albeit in a rather dismissive tone. (if that's possible for a machine..ooh it all gets a bit scary really doesn't it)
I am beginning to agree with you about the return to a map.

Vanessa said...

Please don't get GPS. I say this as a resident of Edinburgh who spends much of each day (okay, 'much' might be slightly exaggerated) being driven into or almost mown down by tourists with Sat Nav who are intent on their little screens rather than looking at the damn road.

Thing I've always wondered is why is it legally considered safe to use a Sat Nav but not to speak on the phone or indeed drink from a bottle of water?

Rob Windstrel Watson said...

I borrowed my brother's GPS and it had this really sexy female voice.

I loved it.

Didn't care where it took me ... Just wanted to listen!

Rotten bro' took her back from me and I felt I'd been jilted.

How sad is that? :-(