Thursday, 6 March 2008

Note to predictable DJs everywhere

ABBA wrote some songs other than Dancing Queen. Some of them are actually quite good.

8 comments:

mayday said...

But Dancing Queen is the skeleton key floorfiller. Also Billie Jean. DJs I find want to be playing Herbie Hancock mashed into Kraftwerk but when there's nobody on the floor, you got to slide down the denominators.

Today's moral. What a DJ plays isn't a reflection of him, it's a reflection of *you*

Jane Henry said...

What? Can there be an Abba song I don't know???

Another moral for you.

Music you loathed and detested as being deeply sadly unfashionable when you were 13, suddenly becomes your favourite bestest thing in the whole world once you are over thirty and nostalgic. In fact you start loving it so much you have every CD collection of Abba ever sold (Only obviously, not the one that had that song on it) and your children are Abba fanatics.... If my thirteen year old self could see me now...

Persephone said...

Okay, I confess: one of my guilty pleasures is The Name of the Game which has a wistful longing to it --- or it does if you ignore the lyrics. I realize that ABBA, unlike many artists, have the excuse of English being their second language, but I actually liked When All Is Said and Done until I stopped to listen to the words:

You and I each have walked some strange and lonely treks/ Slightly worn but dignified, and not too old for sex...

Dear gawd, kill me now. Still, not quite as bad as Vogon poetry...

Oh yes, and the harmonies in Angel Eyes are quite lovely. The rest I'd gladly consign to the tip of time...

John Soanes said...

In my experience, women seem to like Abba more than men, so I guess DJs are playing to that (helped along by Muriel's wedding, maybe?).
And whilst Abba Gold is pretty good, More A.G. isn't really much cop, I fear.
Want to fill a floor, though? Re-Light My Fire, and Twist and Shout could be what you want.
J

Billy said...

Chiqitita is my favourite Abba song.

Jane Henry said...

I have to fess up to a sad liking for Gimme, Gimme A Man after Midnight...

And I don't think Abba is exclusively a female preserve. I at least have the excuse of nostalgia making me like them now (I sooo agree about Abba Gold), but my husband was actually a fan when it was incredibly geeky to like Abba. He even sat through Abba the movie twice.

Me? I thought Mamma Mia was much more fun...

Marie said...

I've been known to DJ from time to time, and my - perhaps surprising - most reliable floorfiller is 'Step On' by The Happy Mondays. I think (whisper it) people can get bored of cheese - even women.

Vanessa Robertson said...

Gimme, Gimme, Gimme is fantastic, everything I know about the Napoleonic wars I learnt from Waterloo and I really, really like The Day Before You Came.

Feel the need to stick Abba Gold on in the shop tomorrow now!