Well. It was cracking, wasn't it? For those who didn't watch, this is a new series, a late 1950s / early 1960s-set drama about advertising men and women who work on Madison Avenue in NYC. To summarise: I am a man! I work in advertising! I am misogynist! I smoke a lot! But underneath it all I might just be unhappily married / gay / even more of a tosser than I appear on first glance / that guy who played the sexy mayoral candidate in Sex and the City! I am making it sound shit. It wasn't shit. It was great. Sure, it suffered from first episode-itis, where each of the themes clunk down as they are laid (THIS IS A SEXIST OFFICE, THAT IS WHY PEOPLE KEEP TELLING THE SECRETARY TO SHOW MORE OF HER LEGS) but I'm sure that will calm down in time. The acting was good, the script, when not clunking, was sharp, the design was beautiful, there were a couple of genuine surprises when things did not go exactly as predicted, a few of the characters appeared to demonstrate actual complexity, and it had Mel from Flight of the Conchords in it which is reason enough to tune into anything. I would particularly recommend this to women who will enjoy the toe-curling sexual attitudes on display - note for example the scene where the new secretary asks the in-house doctor to prescribe the pill, and he gives her a full vaginal examination (wearing repulsive brown latex gloves) whilst simultaneously warning her not to become a slut or he will withdraw the prescription, and at the same time boasting of his own conquest of one of the other secretaries. Neat. Nasty. 10pm, Sundays, BBC4.
Ex-MOH who used to complain about expensive wedding trips and parties gets
engaged and changes her personality completely: ‘Now she is getting married
and is asking for crazy amounts of time and money’
-
You never know when Bridezilla might appear
I wasn't familiar with this concept until a few months ago. I don't know
why I ended up reading about it, and n...
1 hour ago

11 comments:
I agree. And it does get better
bollox misssed it... you know why! ... did you catch Dexter last week... That was fab I thought. Then I thought how can I watch a tv show about a serial killer and think it was fab?
What channel is Dexter on? I don't think I get it on Freeview.
E4 I think.... on tues or wed - no wed cos we watched it on e4+1 after Torchwood. It is seriously sick...
Dexter was on one of the ITV channels, possible ITV2. ALthough i could relate to him (which is scary), I didn't really like it, maybe it gets better
Dexter is on ITV1 on Wednesdays, but is repeated on ITV4 on Sundays. The first episode lacks a little something but the first season quickly became the best thing on TV by miles when it was on in the US. Season two is even better, since it gets rid of some of the cruft it inherited from the books. I've yacked on about Dexter a lot as well
I really liked it. Tried to watch Dexter, but seem to have gone off 'cop/killer' type series, however clever and well-acted.
oh i must be having some kind of mental breakdown, for which you can forgive me (as Marie knows as I spent all of yesterday cribbing from this blog's brilliant SCD exposes for my current wip, I had a major deadline yesterday, so my brain is uttelry addled.) Of course. yes it was ITV1. Is there ITV1 +1 or have I fantasised that too.
I think I need to lie down in a darkened room somewhere!
I have to say it is very inconvenient of tv schedulers to put on so many programmes at the same time that I want to watch (thinking last night Lewis, whatever was on Beeb 1 and Madmen). Ashes to Ashes clashing with Mitchell & Webb etc. I can't remember having so much that I want to watch on TV....
You have fantasised an ITV1+1 (surely that should be ITV2?), I'm afraid, although Michael Grade was considering it about six months ago. There's an ITV2+1 just to be confusing though.
If my TV guide can be believed, Mad Men's repeated tomorrow (Tuesday) night on BBC2 at 11.20pm. There's also a repeat of Dexter at 11.40pm on ITV1 tomorrow (yes, another clash). You can get Mad Men on the iPlayer; Dexter isn't on ITV's catch-up service. Is that helpful?
Medium Rob I am going seriously bonkers. I knew I had seen Dexter after Torchwood, and thought it was on at the same time. It seemed like such an E4 show I assumed I'd seen it on E4+1. I have obviously just fantasised ITV1+1...Looking in my tv guide yesterday I realise that of course, Dexter is on after Torchwood. Forgive me. It's been a long week. Read your reviews btw and you have whetted my appetite for more. And I know it's off topic but I think you're probably onto something with you Ashes to Ashes homage theory - I thought episode 1 was Miami Vice/A Team, and though I missed the other references, your suggestions make sense. I've decided I don't much care about the plot in AtoA, I'm just enjoying Philip Glenister and the music! (Sorry, Marie for taking over your blog!)
I will try and catch the repeat of Mad Men as it sounds fab.
"I've decided I don't much care about the plot in AtoA, I'm just enjoying Philip Glenister and the music!"
Those are indeed the main (and some would argue only) reasons to watch Ashes and Ashes ;-)
Glad you liked the reviews - feel free to visit any time!
Post a Comment