
I have a guilty secret - well, I have a few guilty secrets, let's not go into them all. The one I am going to reveal today is that pretty much every Sunday night I watch Lark Rise to Candleford.
Lark Rise, for those unacquainted with it, is an Edwardian-era costume drama of such surpassing gentleness that the experience of watching it is like lying in a bath of cotton wool being fed candyfloss by your grandmother. It makes Cranford look like The Wire. If that doesn't sound like a good thing, that's because I am not quite sure it is a good thing. And yet I watch it, every week.
Lark Rise is a show in which nothing happens, set in a sepia-tinted corner of the West Country* in which it never rains. In fact, were it to rain in Lark Rise, that would be an episode's-worth of drama all in itself, as the yokels of Candleford come out of their picturesque hovels to stare in awe at the water coming down, and a mysterious umbrella-seller comes to town and flirts with Dorcas the postmistress to the envy of Miss Pratt, and at the end of the episode it stops raining and the umbrella-seller leaves and everything goes back to normal because everything always goes back to normal at the end of Lark Rise to Candleford.
Think I'm exaggerating? Here is a list of everything that happened - and I use the word "happened" loosely - in last night's episode of Lark Rise.
1. Daniel and Thomas (two adult men) got competitive over a game of conkers.
2. Thomas bought his wife some new wool underwear, but it was itchy.
3. A new seamstress came to town and scandalised the locals by wearing trousers. She then left town again and moved to America.
4. A goose came to town. Sydney (a child) got emotionally attached to the goose. The goose then left town again, possibly to move to America (not specified).
5. Laura and Minnie (two adult women) used numerology to try to figure out how suited they were to their menfolk.
6. Dorcas got a new stove. It didn't work.
7. It didn't rain.
8. Everything went back to normal.
I once heard that looking at penguins is as effective as taking Prozac for warding off depression. In which case looking at Lark Rise to Candleford is like taking Valium. I suspect that I will be watching again next week. Laura's mother is getting a job as a teacher. It won't rain.
*I stand corrected. North Oxfordshire, apparently - thank you, Baroness Black - but if you are guessing from the accents you might think otherwise. Or for that matter "otherwoise".

10 comments:
West Country? A-hem! You must check your facts Miss Phillips, Lark Rise etc. is based in North Oxfordshire.
However, it may be that the actors don't know how to do any rural accent other than a West Country one!
Apart from that; yes, you've just about got it nailed!
Duly noted! :-)
I can't watch Lark Rise since seeing a parody; it wasn't Victoria Wood's overlong one at Christmas, it was another I can't quite remember. It also contained a brilliantly skewering line that I also can't quite remember.
This is possibly the least helpful comment I have ever bothered to finish writing.
Who is that girl with Alfie? ..it does not look like Laura or Minnie...
Is is a photo from the future, or did I fall asleep in one of the episodes and miss what must have been a Significant Event?
Ah, Larkrise, It is my one weakness.
oops. Lark Rise.
Spelling. It is my one weakness.
That would be Nan. She was Alfie's squeeze in season 2 but she left town and everything went back to normal.
I've looked in on Lark Rise from time to time because the book (well, books, really, but we have them all in one volume) was a favourite of my grandmother. One night, Cranford and Lark Rise were on the same night and I'm afraid Lark Rise suffered in comparison, even though both series have some of the same actors! I guess LRtC, being a regular television show, is less meticulously researched, and they do have to scramble to come up with storylines, which leave them at risks for anachronisms . The books really don't have plots, being more of a memoir, which may account for how little happens in the show.
Also, Cranford has Dame Judi. It is definitely the classier affair, I don't deny it. However, my mum did once sit opposite Alfie from Lark Rise on the tube, and Cranford cannot boast that honour.
I haven't read the books - too dreary for me. Yet my sweet young husband tried them way back (I mean when he was sweet and young as opposed to old and grumpy as he is now) and doesn't recognise the jolly sepia coloured TV version at all. It was truly 'orrible back then in the country. Much of the TV series filming is done in a purpose built set in north Wiltshire. Perhaps that's why the accents are more Wiltshire than Oxfordshire. But I put it down to the lazy 'Ooh-aar' factor that says any rural accent will do.
Over here we'd presume they were in the Twilight Zone...and leave quickly before we became trapped forever.
Post a Comment