Thursday, 28 January 2010

It's Complicated...

...could have been just another so-so romcom, but is elevated way above its station by charming, perfectly-timed performances from Meryl Streep (maybe the world's best film actor of either gender? Answers below, but if you want to contradict me you have to watch 'Doubt' first) and Alec Baldwin (almost as good as he is in '30 Rock'.) Plus there is one joke in it which alone is worth the price of admission, and had my parents, sister and myself laughing so long and hard we missed the whole of the next scene. Alec Baldwin is talking about the side effects of his medication, and then, well...

Seriously, who is a better film actor than Meryl Streep? I want to know.

10 comments:

BaronessBlack said...

Alright, no-one is better than Meryl Streep!

Have you seen District 9? Really interesting film IMHO.

Rob Buckley said...

I took my mother-in-law to watch it a few weeks ago. She loved it; I thought it wasn't bad and actually quite surprising in some of the decisions it took - it felt like a French movie that got translated into American, judging by

a) it being a grown-up movie
b) the emotional incontinence of all the characters
c) it being about an affair (as all French movies are*).
d) the constant references to France in it.

It's not. How odd.

I didn't laugh a huge amount though and I found the characters a little too hard to identify with. Surprisingly good turn from Steve Martin.

Alec Baldwin is a god, but I might consider Johnny Depp to be a better actor than Streep who's gone a bit Robert de Niro of late (as has Robert de Niro). It'd be a close-run thing though. Other names to throw on the pile and picked at: Patrick Stewart, Helen Mirren, Judi Dench, Daniel Benzali.

*This might not technically be true

Jane Henry said...

Sounds like my kind of film and I love Meryl Streep. Think I'm probably with Rob that Johnny Depp is best movie actor, but am not sure that my choice is entirely unbiased by other considerations (-:

Rob Buckley said...

As usual, Mark Kermode gives the perfect review (and analysis of Meryl Streep's performance): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=389N1MsF1FM

Bangkok Expat Mama said...

We named our second son "Alec". Primarily after Sir Alec Guinness, but also after Alec Baldwin. Guinness because of his roles in "The Bridge on the River Kwai" and, yes, "Star Wars" (dork alert!), and Alec Baldwin because he was a talented young actor (first son loved him as Mr Conductor in "Thomas and the Magic Railroad", LOL) with a passion for progressive politics.

Meryl rules. Cate Blanchett, Russell Crowe, and Johnny Depp are the only people I can think of who may someday attain her level and range of performance.

Haven't seen "It's Complicated" yet! It's not in theaters here, nor sold as copied DVDs on the street yet, either.

John Finnemore said...

Maybe it's just you mentioning Doubt, but Philip Seymour Hoffman? Though I admit I'm a sucker for versatility. Also, if only for Bogart-ish inability to look at anyone else when he's on screen, even if he's not doing anything: Kevin Spacey.

Persephone said...

We're sticking with living actors, right? Kate Winslet and William H. Macy spring to mind.

I think one reason Meryl Streep is able to have such range (apart from skill and ability, of course) is her unusual face which allows her to do romantic leads and character turns.

Speaking of grown-up movies: Up in the Air. I saw it last weekend and I'm still thinking about it...

Bro said...

Ian McKellen is for me, the greatest living actor (and no, not just because of him being Gandalf, although I won't deny that that probably does colour my judgement slightly!). I saw him in Waiting for Godo at the Theatre Royal in Bath last year and was utterly mesmerised.

I still think that he would have made the perfect Doctor...

Unknown said...

You are the reason I write. <3

Anonymous said...

So good to have you back!
Carole