Thursday, 26 March 2009

Another day, another depressing serial rape story.

Only weeks after taxi driver John Warboys was convicted for a series of rapes that the police had failed to act on, another serial rapist emerges who was left free to attack women for years due to shoddy police work. As with the Warboys case, police believe that dozens more women may have been attacked who have not, as yet, come forward.

I am of the opinion that we barely know how many sex attacks take place every day. I know a number of women who have been raped - and those are only the ones who have told me about it, I am sure there are others amongst my acquaintance who haven't shared their stories with me. They were all raped by people they knew - though not necessarily people they knew well - and not one of them reported the attack to the police. Either they did not wish to relive the experience or they didn't think they would be believed.

Then there is the category of 'sexual assault'. How bad does an assault have to be to be considered a crime? I have no idea. I do know that I've had a number of deeply unpleasant experiences that it would never have occurred to me to report:

1. Walking down the street, a passing man reached over, grabbed hold of one of my nipples, and squeezed. I had the presence of mind to shout at him.

2. While I was in a queue in a restaurant, a man put his hand between my buttocks and pressed his finger against my vagina. I was so shocked and embarrassed that I laughed, and it took me years to forgive myself for it.

3. In a bar, a man pushed me down on a table and, holding me down by the head and the small of my back, proceeded to lick all over my bare back above the top of the strapless dress I was wearing, while the people around laughed and clapped. But hey, I knew him, so that's OK, right? Right? On this occasion I tried to get away but he was too strong, so I just gave in and waited until he'd finished. Oddly enough I had a very similar experience in my first ever job, when a senior producer took it upon himself to lick my sunburnt back. But he was gay, so that doesn't count, right? Right?

4. I was surrounded by a group of young men in the street who made a series of threatening comments about the smell of my "unwashed c*nt". Who knows what they would have done if I hadn't seen a couple on the other side of the road and ran away towards them. This happened in Australia: I told an Australian friend, and she was astonished that I was upset about it. This may have been the most troubling aspect of the whole experience.

5. I interrupted a man masturbating in the street who then chased me.

6. I was flashed at outside my school.

7. As a young child, I was followed by a strange man around WHSmith until I went and found my mum.

Which is not to even begin on the more everyday occurrences of having my bum felt in pubs, clubs and on crowded tubes, of having sexually explicit comments shouted at me in the street on a fairly regular basis, of drunk men grabbing me and shoving their tongues in my mouth for some spurious reason (England scores), and, of course, of being sexually propositioned - though fortunately no more than that - by the very cab driver I was trusting to get me home safe. There seemed little point in complaining about any of it.

I would say that my experiences are by no means atypical. In fact, I would actually count myself as lucky that this is all that I have had to endure. My guess - and it has to be a guess, because this is something which is rarely openly discussed - is that most of the women reading this will have a set of similar stories to share, whereas most of the men will be horrified because they have no idea that this is daily life for women, especially young women.

If we are going to understand rape, and why men like Warboys and Reid get away with it for so long, we need to understand the entire picture of sexual harassment and intimidation, which means that women - and for that matter men - will need to start talking about their experiences of sexual bullying. Rape, sadly, is part of a continuum, and some of the people who get away with this type of lower-key intimidation will carry on to do much, much worse. Equally a woman who has been subjected to a lifetime of minor sexual assaults without anybody - including themselves - taking them seriously may simply not see the point of reporting a rape.

No doubt the Warboys / Reid cases will result in an overhaul of police approaches to rape, but I would argue that it's time consider whether we have the right approach to assaults at the other end of the scale.

38 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish your experiences were atypical but, alas, I know from conversations with female friends that they're not.

Persephone said...

I don't think I've had encounters quite as horrific as yours (maybe I've blocked them out). I remember being somewhat bewildered by the tales my male friends told me of being propositioned by men while in junior high and high school. They seemed so outraged and scared, and I found myself thinking: "What's the big deal? That happens to me on a weekly basis and I'm not even pretty." (The pretty girls got this every bloody day.) I never enjoyed being propositioned, nor being shown pornographic photos while trying to fill out a money order in the post office, nor being trailed from one book store to another when I was twelve by a man who asked me if I wanted to go for a drive. There seem to be a disturbing number of guys who think that this is something women really want. Maybe they need to remember how outraged and scared they were when being propositioned by a strange man.

What happened with that acquaintance (I hardly suspect he was a friend) who held you down and licked your back? Did he ever find out how you really felt?

Marie said...

Persephone, he knew how I really felt when he did it - I was struggling to get away - he just didn't care.

Jessica said...

What is it with back licking? Weird.

Anyhow, I'm just going to nod, and say no, sadly not atypical at all.

Brave post xx

Persephone said...

What an asshole. I wish I could come up with classier invective, but I suspect it would be wasted on someone like him. My husband worked for a Neanderthal like that once; what I could never understand was that he actually had a teen-aged daughter and he never got the irony.

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Great post - its the sheer 'banality' of such events that make them unreported and scarcely acknowledged as criminal by both those experiencing them or those in the criminal justice system who could respond to them... As you say, how can women report these events which are so everyday (god, that makes me steam with fury) that we just package them away in our heads so 'put it down to experience'.

And those perpetrating would never even get that what they did was wrong in anyway: 'just harmless fun' - right? Right?

Excellent post.

Persephone said...

Just one more thing: another of my favourite blogs is What Possessed Me by "P" (whose name really truly is Persephone; I'm so jealous...).

About a year ago she addressed the topic of unwanted touching. I loved the post, but even more, I loved some of the stories supplied by her faithful readers in the comments. It's not the most flattering picture of mankind, but it's a heartening glimpse of what womankind can do...

BaronessBlack said...

Y'know my instinctive reaction (in a public place - I should add) is always to turn around and wallop the guy as hard as I can with a big smile on my face so he can see I'm joining in the "fun". When I was cox to a rowing team in university, one of the lads grabbed my boobs. I took a swing at him, which must have been pretty funny 'cos I had to take quite a jump.
Anyway, he fell over backwards and the bar broke into applause. Possibly my finest hour.

But, yes, apart from that all strangely familiar. Sigh.

Alun said...

It's terrible. One of the most shameful aspects is, I suspect, that "nice" men who would never dream of doing such things (I include myself in this group), seem often to be surprised about something that women seem to know about. I don't know if this is plain ignorance, willful ignorance, or denial, but in any case it just won't do.

Marie said...

The problem with the walloping response is that it can do more harm than good. I was on a holiday tour once and one of the other guests felt my bum, so I slapped him. I was told off by the tour guide who said that there were two sides to every story and there was no excuse for violence. Then for the rest of the trip I got a reputation for being an uptight bitch and more than once overheard the other men discussing which of them was going to shag me to help loosen me up. Fun trip.

Alice said...

Urgh, how awful. I've never had anything quite so horrific as some of your experiences. Working in a very women-dominated environment cuts down on the work-based sexual harrasment, and surrounding myself with mostly female friends helps to avoid having male friends becoming overly touch, and being gay means I don't end up on dates with men who believe they have the right to touch me because I'm on a date with them.

Interesting post, as I've spent the past couple of days reading on the blogsphere about various types of privilege - Alun's comment sort of sums up male privilege completely.

Rebecca said...

Sadly, sis, I think you're right. Women and girls are exposed to this kind of abusive behaviour so frequently that even we feel it's just a normal - if (highly) unpleasant - experience. Men are probably unaware of most of it, and likely to class some of it as harmless fun. Not only that but research shows that women as well as men believe that the woman is at least partly to blame if she has been flirting with the man, is wearing revealing clothing, or is drunk. That this kind of behaviour is flat-out unacceptable under whatever circumstances is simply not the general consensus. I've experience flashing, groping (tits, bum, groin), following, rubbing up, peeping, and the inevitable cat-calling, whistling etc. Not all of it was very upsetting, some of it left me feeling sullied and scared. I've no doubt whatsoever that my experiences are typical of the lower end of the scale.

Chris Wild said...

Marie,

I have to say that I am shocked. Maybe I live in a sheltered world...

Had you encountered 1 maybe 2 of the things on your list, then I would have thought you unlucky. But it bothers me that your list does suggest something unacceptably common.

I would have expected (but not condoned), "everyday occurrences of having my bum felt in pubs, clubs and on crowded tubes, of having sexually explicit comments shouted at me in the street on a fairly regular basis" as I would have taken this as blokes being dicks, especially drunken ones.

"drunk men grabbing me and shoving their tongues in my mouth for some spurious reason" is unacceptable and I can't believe it comes under the everyday occurrences.

Items 1-7 all seem to me, like issues that should be reported - I know I would.

I feel sick, and I've only read your post! :(

Jane Henry said...

Gawd, Marie, that's so grim. I had my fair share of scary things growing up - 12 (worryingly the age my daughter is now) was a really horrible period of my life. I seemed to be approached constantly by creepy men. Worst one on a bus with LOTS OF ADULTS, and this guy leant against me and rubbed himself up and down on my leg. I was too frightened to tell him not too, too frightened to tell the bus driver, and then petrified he might follow me (luckly he didn't). I have told my kids this story and rammed it home to them that anyone doing ANYTHING they find unacceptable is not to be tolerated.

But it is difficult. I think it does all come down to power - had a high ranking exec where I worked who was horribly flirtatious. He'd make really personal comments, and once leant over in a meeting and touched my blouse, and said, Silk, nice. Sounds innocuous, but it really wasn't. And did I say/do anything? No because he was too senior and I was frightened to challenge him. And THAT was what he traded on. yeuch.

One benefit of getting older is this kind of thing doesn't happen any more. But I do fear for my girls who are growing up in a world where porn is easily accessible to young men on the internet, many of whom also play violent computer games which frequently degrade women (am not saying boys shouldn't play computer games, but I know of 12 year olds playing really unsuitable stuff). I think we may well end up with a proportion of the male population who have a very skewed idea about the way to treat women, and will therefore act accordingly.

Charlotte said...

I've been thinking about this post all day, remembering incidents that I have completely buried. One of them is going drinking with two friends, going back to their house afterwards and then waking up in bed "having sex" with one of them. I may have flirted with him, I may have gone home with them (I had no way of getting home myself), and then I passed out in a bed. Apparently to certain men, even intelligent, university-educated ones who now would be shocked to be accused of rape, that constitutes a "yes".

Also, I remember the catcalling and the badgering that started when I was an early-developed 12. It has only stopped recently in my forties now that I have stopped dyeing my hair and spend a lot of time hanging out with very small children. I think I will stay happily grey, because who needs that attention?

Anonymous said...

This is something I wanted to make a documentary about - the casual acceptance of the harassment and abuse of women on a daily basis. I've had an equal number of horrible experiences - as have my sister and mother - non of which have been taken seriously. It makes me so angry and sad. I am really starting to come round the germaine greers view that women would be horrified if they really knew how much men hated them.

Anonymous said...

I think we have to figure out exactly why men enjoy raping women so much. I mean, the truth about raping women is that it is VERY enjoyable and VERY easy to get away with. Like, i know this guy who dates girls who do drugs and then, at some point, he rapes them. he says it's really easy to get away with because, most of the time, the girls don't even report it because they are afraid the police will find out they have been using drugs and they think they might be arrested for it, or something. he says this is especially true with the college girls because they don't want it to get back to their parents that they have been using drugs. and even if they report it, according to him, once the cops find out they have been using drugs, their credibility goes out the window. he says he just says the sex was consensual and that they both got high before they had sex and now she regrets it. once the blood test confirms that the girl was on drugs, the cops usually don't go forward with the investigation because they believe his story. he says he has only been to court twice and, once the juries found out the girls were on drugs, he was acquitted both times. i have no idea how many women he has raped. i know it's alot, though. And this is just ONE type of rape option that is open to men. Don't even talk about how easy it is with a ski-mask, some latex gloves, and a condom. So we need to figure out why men enjoy raping women so much and then try to disuade them from doing it.

Hagbar said...

embarrassed about the rubbishness of my gender

Anonymous said...

Hagbar, lighten up. It's not that serious.

Chris Wild said...

Anonymous,

You've not reported "this guy" why exactly...?

Rob Buckley said...

Obviously, some horrible stuff here that I can't even get my head round, enough to be stunned into not saying anything for nearly a week.

On the other hand there was a bloke who used to follow the boys' swim team around at my school and take pictures of them at events; and one teacher did end up getting taken to court for child abuse - we all knew it was going on at the time and just regarded it as a necessary hazard to be avoided, not something to be reported. Given the degree of heightened sensitivity my wife has to work work in schools and with health authorities on just about everything, I'd say that times are changing for the better in some areas, at least, thankfully.

Men (or at least a good proportion) are obviously shit. I've known quite a few extremely shit men. I've also known quite a few shit women and it may - or may not - surprise people to see what some women can do in groups on a night out, in Glasgow, Swansea, Maidstone, a Club 18-30 holiday or even the average nightclub say, where the worst make behaviour is definitely mirrored by women.

So I'm not sure how the definition of what's inappropriate, etc, would need to vary from gender to gender, culture to culture, country to country, class to class, how a no-touching-at-all rule would go down in Italy, say (does the eyeing-up of potential mates by both genders in Paris or on Brazilian beaches count as harassment or not, for example?), or whether that would be regarded as the uptight English in action again. It might well be that despite cultural-sensitivity, we might just have to say the greater good requires that everyone becomes uptight and English and have some blanket uber-restrictive rule for everyone, although my fear is we'd end up with a pan-global Saudi Arabia. But, at the very least, it requires discussion, even if it gets complicated, as Marie says because horrific things are happening.

Re: walloping - generally a bad idea. You could even be arrested for assault. Best to give a firm warning shout first or a shove at most. It also normalises violence, a point I find interesting in this story from today's New York Times about domestic violence workshops for teenagers.

@Jane Henry: a good thesis, which seems to have been borne out research in this surprisingly intelligent piece from today's Sun of all things.

Marie said...

I agree with Rob - violence is not the answer, despite my past as a slapper. Hmm. Poor choice of words. You know what I mean. But quite aside from bringing more violence into the world, which is not a good thing, you lose the moral high ground. If it's OK to slap, then surely a non-painful touch to the bum is also OK? Better to firmly point out that what's just happened is not acceptable. Or shout TAKE YOUR F*CKING HANDS OFF ME, which is also effective without crossing any violence boundaries...

Also agree that women can be just as bad, although I would argue that many women are at the receiving end of a near-constant stream of everyday sexual harassment, whereas for men these experiences, though they do happen, are not so day-to-day.

Rob Buckley said...

"Also agree that women can be just as bad, although I would argue that many women are at the receiving end of a near-constant stream of everyday sexual harassment, whereas for men these experiences, though they do happen, are not so day-to-day."

I'd definitely agree that the women in question are almost certainly on the receiving end of far worse harassment than the men are every day. On the other hand, I've never seen a wet T-shirt competition in Swansea, but I have seen a row of blokes with their underpants round their ankles being appraised by a group of women in a Wind street pub. So sometimes there are cultural normalisations that go a little further in the other direction than some might think, even if its not commonplace or everyday.

But if we're coming up with a universal rule that's intellectual sustainable, we can't come up with one that accepts women's harassment and violence while ending men's - it's just not going to work because a law/rule needs to be perceived as fair and applying to all people equally.

Marie said...

Rob, I think we agree with each other, but I also think that we are speaking at slightly cross purposes. There is a big difference between voluntarily taking part in a contest to show off your tackle and being groped on a tube train on your way to work.

My original point was that while the papers are full of stories about rape cases, we have very little understanding of everyday sexual intimidation and assault. The first step, I think, is just to talk about it: figure out what is actually going on. Only once we know what's happening can we start talking about rules. I do agree that we need to know about the kind of harassment that men as well as women endure, but the context of sexualisation of culture is a sort of part two argument.

Rob Buckley said...

"Rob, I think we agree with each other, but I also think that we are speaking at slightly cross purposes. There is a big difference between voluntarily taking part in a contest to show off your tackle and being groped on a tube train on your way to work."

I think we do agree, and you're right. But,

a) who said it was completely voluntary? Woe betide the bloke selected by those women who wasn't up for that particular Swansea event - stick from the women, stick from his mates...
b) I was touched up by a woman in an office the other day. I didn't say anything, and I think the woman in question would have been horrified at the suggestion she was being inappropriate. Actually, now I think about it, it's happened rather a lot in various offices over the years. But that's another point. What I was kind of getting at was the idea that there are going to be women as well as men who are going to find their behaviour being checked and as a result, they might not be so willing to discuss their experiences as a result if they've been up to the same things and they lose their rights to perform certain acts as well.

Except I was obviously less clearly than that.

Rob Buckley said...

And they might not even think to mention things if they're doing them themselves.

Rob Buckley said...

On a slightly related point, just got this press release from the Green Party:

"London’s sole rape crisis centre is able to handle less than one-fifth of the calls it receives. The Survivors’ Network in Brighton has a waiting list of more than a year for its help group for victims. And the Norwich Rape Crisis Centre is able to provide services only two days a week."

Fills you with despair for the world, doesn't it?

Marie said...

This is not meant to be a man-bashing thing or a suggestion that all men are bastards and all women are saints. But I do think that more sexual violence is perpetrated by men against women than the other way around. (I don't know much about male-male or female-female sexual violence.) Maybe I am wrong?

Also, I would say that all the men involved in the incidents I described in my original post knew full well that they were being inappropriate. Unless chasing someone down the street whilst wanking is just a friendly hello? I am not saying that whatever that woman in your office did was right. If it was done in order to intimidate you it was certainly wrong. And all the incidents I mentioned in my post were done deliberately in order to intimidate. Of course there are things which can be wrong even when not done with ill intent, but it's a useful initial boundary.

Rob Buckley said...

You can man-bash if you want - I do it all the time, so you certainly have the right to.

You're absolutely right. In fact, I think about 96% of all violence, not just sexual violence, is perpetrated by men, although a good proportion is by serial offenders and those with socialpathic/behavioural disorders. So no arguments there.

But, if you're going to get women (and men) to fess up to all the acts of 'inappropriate sexual behaviour' perpetrated against them, you're going to need to get some form of agreement on what 'inappropriate' is. As you point out, some women will gloss over things that other women would consider horrible because they've been cowed, because it's been normalised because it happens so often or because they don't even regard it as sexual. Others aren't going mention certain acts because they do it themselves so don't regard it as transgressive or because they don't want to admit it and have their own behaviour shamed.

You can ask either

a) 'have you been on the receiving end of the following kinds of things?' or
b) have you been on the receiving end of behaviour you find inappropriate

a) will need agreement beforehand beyond the obvious or you risk have something that's too all-inclusive unless you list every single instance, rather than just a quantative analysis, which will end up devaluing the results (in much the same way that the US stat of 1 in 4 women having being raped is now derided)
b) you're still only going to end up with the tip of an iceberg no matter what, because there's a lot of behaviour that won't get reported for one reason or another because of the word 'inappropriate'.

"Unless chasing someone down the street whilst wanking is just a friendly hello?"

That's obviously horrible. It really is? But was he mentally ill? I used to live round the corner from a home for people with "challenging behaviour" and there was a guy who used to walk around my road every day with his tackle out, pissing whenever he felt like it and playing with himselv. And there was another guy I came across on the train once who was loudly sympathising with all the blokes on the train for not having a sex mag to read like he did.

Unfortunately, try as we might, we're never going to be able stamp some of this out, simply because there's some people who have mental health issues.

Actually, I used to chased around Cambridge by a mental woman who knew my name somehow. God the things that come flooding back to you sometimes...

Marie said...

"Was he mentally ill"?

You know I didn't stop to ask... ;-)

Rob Buckley said...

I don't blame you ;-)

I rue the day the Bluetooth headset was invented, myself. It used to be so easy to spot the mentalists talking to themselves and now you really have to keep an eye out. Having said that there was a weird bloke up in Cambridge who used to dance to music in the streets on his headphones. Which was fun, until I realised his headphones weren't plugged into anything.

Juxtabook said...

What a horrible catalogue of events. None of which have ever happened to me - not even slightly. I moved from a small town in the north to Reading in Berkshire when I was 17. I noticed a massive difference in behaviour and what was and was not acceptable between small town Lancs and the south east. Female friends in the south suffered much more from this sort of thing. I still escaped any bother myself though. This was 20 years ago however and things are as probably as bad in most places now.

kate said...

"This happened in Australia: I told an Australian friend, and she was astonished that I was upset about it. "

going on record as an Australian who doesn't see how the situation you were in could be considered anything other than disturbing and unacceptable, and I don't know anyone who thinks otherwise. Your friend was warped to think you wouldn't be bothered.

Marie said...

Kate, I'm glad to hear that.

Jane Henry said...

Juxtabook, I found the same when I went to Liverpool. In Liverpool I got chatted up all the time, but it was in the main harmless, the guys tried it on, you said no, end of story. I used to dread going out with girlfriends in the holidays in North London, where we were constantly subjected to harassment and abuse if we deigned to turn down male advances. Still makes me shiver now.

Rob, watched the programme about Sex Education v Porn, and though I had a fair idea of what is out there am deeply shocked at how easy it is for kids to access porn. Thanks for the tip off as has led me to useful discussion with oldest child about what to avoid on the web. Will be blogging about it later...

Anonymous said...

Marie, your stories left a sick feeling in my stomach, esp. the one about some man you 'knew' licking your back with people thinking 'how hilarious'! I only have one such story but it's enough. I was working as a waitress in a cocktail bar (ho, ho!)in LA during my struggling writer days and was called over to a group of 2 men and a woman. As I was taking their order, one of the men proceeded to scoop the ice from his drink and rubbed it just above my breasts (clevage area). Weirdly, the girl laughed while the other guy was like, 'what the hell are you doing?' (so much for Sisterhood!) I was so shocked, I just walked over to the bar on automatic pilot. The 2 lads behind the bar (one Irish and one New Yorker) saw my blood-drained face and asked me what was up. I was like, 'that guy over there...just rubbed ice on my front' - I still couldn't believe he'd DONE it. I have never seen 2 guys scale a bar so fast! They grabbed that dickwad and bounced him off every wall on the way out before throwing him on the curb. I did get the satisfaction of seeing them do that, at least but I was a little angry that I allowed the shock to make me so mousy. I should have hit that guy over the head with my tray! And apparently, I'm lucky. That's about the only time a man has done something like that to me.

On a lighter note - I very much enjoy yer tales of adventures-in-lip-gloss-and-skiing, writing and TARDIS-love. I too am a chick 'Who-fan'. Nice to see it, esp. as I was a strange little girl who used to run around in a pretty pink dress, accessorized with a long, multi-colour scarf and floppy hat. I do like your boy Tennant but I'll always have a fever for the flavour of the Fourth Doctor. ;-)

Erin.

Marie said...

Welcome to the blog Erin. I have now imagined Tom Baker running around in a pink dress, which makes a pleasant change after the horrible stories shared here!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the welcome, Marie and I do want to say, since there's some really cool guys who read and comment on your blog, that I know that for every one of these back-licking, ice-rubbing, bum-pinching pathetic excuses for men, there are loads of lovely, gentle, respectful men who were brought up properly.

I always feel sorry for the bloke who really, truly accidently brushes against a woman's boobs or bum and is completely embarrassed and bracing for the slap or telling off. We girls generally know the difference between the 'on purposes' and the 'by mistakes'.

As for Sir Tom of Baker in a pink dress, whaddya wanna bet he's probably worn one at some point? I'll bet a kajillion pounds. However, if I'm wrong, I will have to contact my bank in Switzerland so it may take awhile to make good on payment. :-)

Erin.