Well, I have to say, this one surprised me. A slow start, not particularly promising set-up, and the lack of Donna had me thinking that this was going to be another average-to-boring episode. Even the extended knock-knock period (what, nobody said "Doctor Who?") only had me mildly intrigued. But once the evil consciousness had got hold of Mrs Silvestry, and the rest of the hitherto unremarkable passengers started to gang up against the Doctor, I started to get freaked out, and by the end I was completely gripped. It was genuinely nasty, genuinely dark, brilliantly claustrophobic, with precious little redemption to go around, even after it was all over. This has to be one of the most downbeat episodes I've seen, which made it all the better. DT was on top form, and I'm awarding extra marks for an absolutely fantastic, and really quite scary, performance from Lesley Sharp. All in all I was hooked. Nice to see RTD knocking a six before he leaves the team. And next week... Rose!(Apologies for shorter-than-usual review, I'm a bit poorly.)

10 comments:
Aww, hope you get better soon. Meanwhile, short review though it may be, I'd say it's bang on.
I thought this week's really claustrophobic and a bit whose the Jonah on the spaceship? (the Doctor obviously.) I agree. slow start, but hey what a finish...
And on another note ENTIRELY...
Those people (Marie) predicting the Christmas Whovian toy as the Adipose. HEY. You don't have to wait so long...
Just buy this week's copy of Doctor Who Adventures and you CAN MAKE YOUR VERY OWN. Now haven't I made your day?
It is all a bit Blue Peter, but here are the instructions if anyone is interested...
1) Fill a sock with white rice (yes really). Cut off the end of the sock an inch above the level of the rice, across the heel part. Now fold the ends over and glue down.
2) using the shapes on the right (sorry you need the mag for that bit), draw four arms and feet on white felt and cut them out. Now cut out a mouth shape from black felt and stick on (and this is clearly important) a little white felt tooth.
3) cover one of the arm shapes with glue and place a ball of cotton wool in the middle. Now stick the other arm shape on top, making sure all the edges are glued together. Repeat for other arm and the feet.
4) Finallly, glue the arms and the feet of your Adipose. Add two buttons for eyes and finish off by sticking on the mouth.
So there you have it. Your very own Adipose. What ARE you waiting for????
Hmm, I didn't enjoy this one. It felt incomplete somehow. A rushed ending. Possibly a concept that would have worked better across a longer format (it felt a bit Twelve Angry Men in places). Felt decidedly unimpressed by then end and watched the last episode of The Big Bang Theory to perk me up again.
Having said all that, the episode did have both kids shitting themselves far more than the Library, so it must have had something.
I resisted the urge to repeat everything they said as I put them to bed.
I was looking forward to this episode because of Lesley Sharp, whom I've always found amazing, and it was engrossing (didn't notice the music -- a good sign), but didn't it feel a bit like observing a drama workshop? I mean, instead of being distracted by the music this time, I found myself thinking "Oooh, aren't they clever?"
Actually, I run into the same problem listening to David Tennant read audio-books (he's done several). His vocal pyrotechnics are dazzling, but it pulls you away from the plot as you marvel at how he achieves certain effects. (A really fabulous audio-book reader is Alex Jennings who manages the variety and emotions of the different characters without once getting in the way of the story.)
Still, definitely one of the better episodes this year, and it's good to see them taking chances.
Awh, I echo the wish for improved health!
I felt a tad disengaged as the episode started - wasn't sure what was coming as I really had kept myself outside any commentary of info on the episode - but once the knocking started it really cranked up a gear and both myself and my friend watching it together were eyes wide exhausted by the end.
I liked this week's episode a lot. Tense, well plotted, scary and good all round.
More like this please.
(Get well soon, by the way)
I feel sorry for poor old RTD.
His zing-bang dialogue has always been his stock-in-trade, not his limited SF sensibilities - and that winds up the interweb hordes something rotten. You don't get the sense he rewrites much - at its best his character stuff is raw, emotional and incredibly clever. Last night's episode was classic hothouse people-stuck-in-a-lift drama, which is fundamentally what TV drama has always been at its core. I worry that, as good as he is, when Mr. Moffat takes over Dr Who will become incredibly clever but lose a little of its humanity.
hope u are feelin better
Episodes like this remind us that RTD-OBE can actually write a damn good script. When he keeps it tight, keeps it small, doesn't rely on putting the Whole Wide World in danger Yet Again and doesn't pull plot elements out of the RTD Big Book Of Big Numbers, he's at his most effective (imo).
Perhaps the most intriguing element of the episode is that this time the Doctor's instinctive peacefulness proved to be wrong - but was that because the "voice" was inherently evil? Or was it because the Doctor failed to get the rest of the passengers on his side, creating a vicious circle of mistrust? So many questions unanswered.
I hope that RTD isn't so busy on whatever he does next that he can't write the occasional script for the Moff.
I absolutely hated this episode. As an exercise in giving me a headache it was fine, but the plot was sadly overwhelmed by the noise and frankly cliched characters.
Bro
Post a Comment